Chapter 18

____

early the next morning, Soojin offers to show Yoongi around a few places before they go back to Seoul.

Soojin goes in to get the last of her stuff, and Yoongi awkwardly stands by the car, feeling Nana's heavy gaze on him. he tries to stand as still as possible but jolts up at the sound of the grandmother.

"i know what you've done" She looks at him, with a serious expression and Yoongi doesn't say a word.

"i know that you protected her, and i'm grateful" she says more gently and he nods his head.

"but piece of advice, you don't know what you're up against. you don't know the influence that man has. if you really want to protect her, whatever you do, you won't back down. or if you do even one bit, he'll get you at your weakest." she declares with such resentment it taints her soft features dark and Yoongi's chest tightens with anxiety. remembering the call. remembering the man.

"i won't" he nods and just then Soojin comes out the door carrying a giant bag.

"Nana was it necessary for me to take all this? can't you just keep them in the spare room?" she waddles and whines struggling to hold the heavy bag before Yoongi walks up and easily takes it from her.

"Those are your stuff, they should be wherever you are now" Nana pulls Soojin in tight and for a second she just enjoys the nostalgic sense of holding her baby grand daughter in her arms.

They pull apart and she walks back towards the car.
"Thank you Nana, i'll see you soon" She waves as she gets in her seat.
"Thank you for everything Ma'am" Yoongi bows again, with a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes, before getting behind the wheel.

The car drives away and the old lady stands there watching a piece of herself go with it.

•••

after visiting a few of her favorite places around the city, as the morning quiet gives its place to the bustle of the early noon, to avoid anyone recognizing them they set to drive back to Seoul.

Yoongi's awfully quiet and Soojin picks up on that.
"So what do you think about Jinhae?" she asks.
"yeah it's very beautiful i like it" he replies but his tone doesn't match the sentiment.
"i like to one day comeback here, and live the life i was supposed to, do normal things like a normal person. replace the old ones with new memories" she sounds sad but optimistic.

"that's a good plan" he replies deep in thought.
She doesn't say anything else and just goes back to looking out the window.

Yoongi realizes her disappointment in the conversation. as they slowly reach the city's exit, the lake comes back into view, and a thought crosses his mind so he abruptly pulls away.

"why did you stop?" Soojin abruptly asks Yoongi who unbuckles his seatbelt and opens the door.

"get out" he says.

"what?" she asks but the door is already closed.
she gets out and he's already walking towards the lake.
"where are you going?" She shouts but he doesn't reply, so she just follows him.

by the time she catches up to him he's leaning his back against the bridge looking at her walk up.
"what are we doing here Yoongi? it's freezing!" she holds on to her grey flat cap as a wind blows her hair all around.

"i was under the impression you liked the cold." Yoongi lifts a brow at her and she rolls her eyes.

He suddenly takes her hand and pulls her close. looking at her with dark shadowed eyes under his cap, without a second word or any hesitation he leans in and crashes his lips into hers. not soft. not gentle. but firm and hungry.