Chapter 23

TW: mentions of mental and physical abuse.
____

Soojin opens her eyes but everything is still dark. She blinks a couple of times so her eyes get adjusted, but nothing. She extends her hands around reaching for anything to hold onto, but nothing.

"he-hello? is anybody here?"

hitting a surface in her path she runs her hand over it, just to immediately pull away hissing in pain. "ow!". The surface hot and burning.

an unsettling realization spreads through her and she steps back just to stumble on another firey surface.
"no...no...i can't be here again" she mutters under her breath blindly reaching out and getting burned with every step.

"just wait a little more, you'll feel better in no time" the painful familiar voice screams out in her ear.
"no no no" she screams clutching at her chest.

"hngh..." and she jumps up, hands clutching the blanket, chest heaving extremely, sweat running down her back. she looks around the empty room. moonlight shining through the drapes. she closes her eyes and drops back on the pillows.

She tosses and turns trying as hard as she can to fall back asleep but can't put a lid on the overflowing anxiety gurgling inside. she turns and grabs her phone checking the time. it's almost 2AM. after a moment of hesitation she sends him a text.

"are you up?"

she stares at the screen for a few minutes before dropping the phone in disappointment. but just as she covers her head with the blanket the phone rings to life.

"Incoming Video Call - MYG"

She immediately answers. the faint light of the screen brightening her features in the dark.
"why are you still up?" Yoongi asks with one eye closed, brows in a slight frown as his bangs are pressed against his forehead.

"i miss you" She says sadly but with no hesitation.
his features soften and he sighs rubbing a hand down his face. "i miss you too"

they look at each other in the faint light, moments in silence before Soojin speaks up again.
"i spoke with Nana today, she said hi, and that she hates the security system" She giggles with her eyes closed.
"of course she does" Yoongi snorts and they fall silent again.

"i'm sorry i can't be there in time tomorrow, i tried to change the flight but didn't work out" he says, his voice so deep and comforting, she already feels her eyelids getting heavy.
"it's okay...i'll be...i'll be okay"
Yoongi smiles at her cheek pressed against the pillow, pushing her lips into a small pout.
"go to sleep Soojin, i'll be back in no time" He says that in a whisper that feels like a warm embrace and before she knows it she's fallen right back to sleep.

•••

Soojin straightens her back stretching in the black formal jacket, resting one ankle against the other. she pushes her knees together tugging at the hem of her black tight skirt.
The tall ceilings, and giant stone columns of the place, promise a cold and serious confrontation ahead.

"Ms Lee?"

She looks up, a woman stands by the door. possibly in her mid 40's, dressed in all old fashioned attire, short fluffy hair and her glasses at the tip of her nose.

"the judge will see you now."

The two attorneys sitting next to her stand up and she follows suit. walking towards the door the sound of her sharp pointed black heels echos around the quiet hall.

the three of them sit in silence in front of the old man, who takes his time looking over the file he's been presented.
"so help me understand. you're filing a case in his absence, yet you know where he is, but are not planning to reach out?" he puts the papers away.
one of the prosecutors gets up opening the button to his suit before approaching him.