Chapter 26

26

____

New year's eve arrives. they seat in a backstage room in the KBS building as they get ready for the show.
Hoseok walks around looking handsome as ever, in a black suit, white button up and black bow tie. his hair pushed back, making his soft features ten times sharper.

"is the count down gonna be live?" Soojin asks as the makeup artist swipes some glittery powder on her collarbones.
"yes" Hoseok replies but Yoongi doesn't react as he's head deep his phone. he's also in a black suit, white button up. his over grown silver bangs above his eyes and a slight undercut showing on the side. his silver earring dangling as he tilts his head to the side.

"your red carpet photos look good, what a couple!" he says sarcastically not realizing the crowd surrounding them in the room.

She looks at him in the mirror as he scrolls through photos of her and Jungkook on the red carpet.
The makeup artist lifts her wavy curled long hair out of the way before powdering her back too.
to her, the long golden sequin dress looks like something out of a fairytale. the lace long sleeves tight at the wrists and the V neckline on both the front and the back gives her princess feels she only dreamt of as a kid.

"they're about to air our performance" Jungkook walks in, rocking a grey sparkling suit and a black shirt, his long black hair pushed back and he sits right next to Yoongi on the couch making the older tense up a little visibly.
"oh this is so surreal" Soojin squeals as a staff member hooks a mic to the back of her dress.

for a couple of minutes everyone stays silent as the pair beautifully deliver a love song, occasionally looking at each other throughout the performance making Yoongi look back at his phone.

"oh my god i'm so proud of you, my babies are all grown up" Hoseok looks between the youngers affectionately, who are enthusiastically watching the screen.

as the performance finishes everyone claps and congratulates the two before going back to perpetrations as they close to the live in a few minutes. except for Yoongi who stands up quietly as a staff hooks his mic to his back.
He walks out without a second word, and Soojin feels an undeniable sense of disappointment fill her.

in a few minutes they all stand on the stage surrounded by a beautiful set up, the MCs are talking up the performances of the night before announcing the countdown.

"aahhh, Personally my favorite performance was the beautiful ballad by Soojin and Jungkook. these two really share a special bond." the MC winks and the pair just smile. Soojin catches Yoongi's gaze who's also smiling and nodding, seemingly not bothered at all. again she feels a sick twist in her stomach seeking his attention as he doesn't give her any.

"okay everyone! we are 30 seconds away from the New Year! let's hold our dear ones close and hope for the best" the female MC yells and whoohoos and everyone laughs through the applause. Soojin looks at him again standing a few feet away, but he doesn't look back.

10...

"kiss me" she whispers leaning closer to Jungkook.

7...

"WHAT?" he tries to hide his shock through a smile.

5...

"when the ball drops, just a peck" she whispers again.

3...

"are you sure?" Jungkook raises his brows.
"do it before i change my mind"

1...

as cgi fireworks blow up behind them and confetti rains from above, Jungkook leans in and leaves a small peck on her lips and pulls back smiling.
the interaction hits Yoongi like a surprise. his mouth falls open and for a second he feels like he can't function. but he collects himself fast and turns to congratulate everyone around.