Chapter 21

___

after seeing the way she ran to the elevator just to avoid him, Yoongi retreats back to his office, his mind occupied by the million tasks at work and one mysterious folder he's been taking everywhere for the past week, but hasn't dared open yet. his trance is interrupted when he gets a notification and is surprised to see Soojin's name on the screen. he immediately opens the text only to be disappointed.

"i'm "going out" with Jungkook today. i know we're not speaking, but out of respect for all that you've done for me, i thought it would be better if you heard from me than any article online."

Yoongi starts writing back but then stops himself. he swallows hard and sets the phone down.

he tries his best to not think about it, but the thought of her even pretending to be with someone else makes him uncomfortable. he looks at the tray of drinks by the tall glass windows, the last rays of the daylight passing through the liquid. but then looks away just to see the folder sitting in front of him. Running out of patience he grabs the folder and throws it in his safe before leaving the office.

•••

Yoongi sits behind the piano in his studio. not moving a finger. not blinking an eye.
he stares at the keys.
at the welcoming aura.
at his safe place.
now tainted by a darkness that has not even touched him. shadowed by a memory he has not lived through.

for a couple of hours, he pours his feelings out, on paper, in writing, in notes. however he can do, and it's still not enough to express. he's only known the truth for a week and can't bring himself to speak about it.

so he thinks of how it must've felt like for her to keep this all these years. of how he pushed her to speak, makes him mad. at himself and at himself only.

once again he looks over his shoulder across the room at the tray of drinks on the shelf. but he knows. no alcohol in the world can wash this filth away.
a notification on his phone catches his attention. it's a text from Namjoon with a link attached to it.

"i know you said you didn't care.."

Yoongi clicks the link and his heart immediately sinks. dozens of photos of Soojin and Jungkook hand in hand, walking the street. just as he's about to put the phone away, another text from him comes in.

"...but i know you do and i don't like seeing you like this. i'm sending these to remind you that this is just a glimpse to the future. but right now it is still not too late hyung."

he looks at the pictures again. yes, seeing Jungkook next to her is making him jealous but more than that it's her in the photos that's driving him crazy. considering Namjoon's words he checks the time and as it closes to 10pm he grabs his stuff and leaves the studio.

•••

"hyung! what are you doing here?" Hoseok looks at him with wide eyes as he holds the door open and Yoongi walks in.
"um, is Soojin back?" he asks looking around the living room.
"not yet. why? is everything okay?" He eyes the older one and patiently waits for his response.
"everything is messed up Hoseok" Yoongi replies with a sad face and the younger watches him unfold like a paper flower.
"it's all messed up and i have to make it right" he sits on the couch.

"let me get you a drink and we'll talk about it" Hoseok turns towards the fridge
"no thanks" Yoongi calls out after him before he reaches the kitchen.
"wow! that's a first" Hoseok says with wide eyes as he joins him on the couch.

"what are you gonna do?"

"i don't know? talk to her?" he says and looks at the time "it's past 10:30. shouldn't she be back by now?"