Chapter 28 (finale)

____

"so he was being blackmailed? for what?" Soojin asks on the edge of her seat in Han's office.

"yes, apparently a few years ago he had committed some embezzlement in his previous company. but he had paid some people off and gotten away with it." the attorney replies standing behind his desk.

"it's my fault. i should've been more careful hiring him." Yoongi says laid back in his seat next to Soojin.
She turns around and looks at his lost expression. "His mistakes have nothing to do with you" she gives his hand a squeeze.
"still" he looks away.

"she's right Mr Min. Sung Chul had dug up so many information on almost everyone in contact with Soojin. and Choi was the easiest and closest target. he could've manipulated anyone" Han addresses him.

"so what happens now?" she turns to Han, both excited and scared of his answer.

"in the end it's all up to the jury and the judge. but now with Choi's confession, i can assure you that you've got this" Han smiles reassuringly.
"okay" she nods.
Yoongi looks at her expression, expecting to see some joy or relief but nothing.

"Thanks Han keep us updated" he tells the attorney.
"of course".

"you wanna go for a walk?" Yoongi extends his hand and after a moment of hesitation she takes it.

in the cool night air, they walk hand in hand, under the shadows of the trees.
"are you not happy?" Yoongi looks at her who's clearly counting each step.

"i am"
"you don't look like it"
"it all just seems too good to be true. everything. him. my career. my life. you. i just don't know if i deserve this break"

Yoongi stops in his tracks and she turns to look at him frowning. He takes her face in his hands, his cat eyes an inch away causing her to feel butterflies clapping their wings inside of her.

"first of all, this is not a break. it's just your life getting back on track, the way it always should've been. and second you deserve so much more, that you're gonna get." he takes her hand again and resumes walking.

"i'm gonna make sure of that" Yoongi says under his breath and Soojin grips his hand tighter leaning against his arm.

•••

"have you reached a verdict?" Judge asks looking at the men and women of the jury.
"we have your honor." says the jury foreperson standing on the edge. he makes a quick awkward eye contact with Soojin who unlike previous sessions is visibly shaken.

"what say you?" The judge questions and she gulps.

"We the Jury..." he pauses and looks at the paper in his hand

"...in the case of Ms Lee Soo Jin versus Mr Lee Sung Chul..."

She instinctively grabs Han's hand over the table and he grips it tightly.

"...find the defendant guilty of all charges mentioned"

"YES!!" the three attorneys squeal and get up, punching the air and shaking hands, as the room erupts into cheers. even members of the media whoo in happiness.

Soojin stands frozen but after a moment breaks down in tears of joy and covers her face with both hands.
from behind her Yoongi takes her arm and pulls her in over the short barrier of the seats.

as the officers of the court step forward and handcuff the man to take him away, Yoongi throws him a look filled with disappointment and he just flashes a creepy smile in return.

Soojin feels her chest fill with a sudden sense of relief, and as the nightmare she thought had caught up to her moves away, she turns back to Yoongi with a smile.
He pulls her back in and kisses the top of her head.