7

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

I worriedly stood next to my mother's bedside, watching her chest evenly rise and fall.

It had been a few hours since the incident.

The criminal had somehow escaped our guards' clutches and seemingly disappeared into thin air, leaving no trace of ever stepping foot inside the mansion. I had overheard of there being no signs of breaking in. This leads me to think...if that fiend was already inside and is still lurking these very halls.

The lunch was cut short, forcing our "lovely" guests to "unfortunately" depart due to the crises (much to my joy). Yet, Lila seemed a little too happy and satisfied with what had happened. I urged myself not to grab my father's antique fencing swords off the wall and get a few jabs in.

I have not once left my mother's side since her falling into a deep slumber. My eyes were glued onto her form, studying her peaceful face for signs of her awakening any time soon. I found it strange—odd even—seeing her relaxed state, so used to the stressed and stern woman. It was almost nice seeing her like this but very peculiar as well.

Mother and I may not have the best of a relationship but that did not mean I cared for her any less. I had hated her beliefs of how I should be a perfect doll with no flaws or blemishes. Yet, my feelings for her personally was more of a strong disliking.

"Marinette," Tikki spoke, emerging from the hidden pocket in my dress. Her antennae's drooped in sorrow, solemnly saying, "I am sorry for what happened to your mother. I am sure she will make a full recovery."

I shook my head, letting the smallest of smiles spread across my lips, "It is far from your fault. There is nothing for you to be sorry for, little one. Thank you, though."

My hand gently rubbed the top of Tikki's head before returning my gaze to mother. I grabbed the elder woman's hand with my free one, squeezing it.

I fondly added, "She is a very head-strong woman. Whatever vile thing that criminal did, mother will not submit to its clutches."

Tikki smiled, nuzzling her head into my finger. Concern washed over my body when the tiny bug's face etched into a frown shortly after.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, moving my hand away.

"I do not mean to be a barren of bad news," Tikki began, "but we need to leave soon to meet up with Chat Noir."

My focus immediately locked onto a grand clock sitting above the mantle. The time ticked closer to the minute Ladybug would need to make an appearance with her partner. I hummed in acknowledgment, turning back to the Kwami floating in midair.

"I will leave once father and the doctor return. I do not want to leave mother alone when that criminal could still be roaming these hallways," I replied.

Tikki gave an understanding look, nodding her head, "Okay, but do not keep him waiting. Chat Noir is not a very patient man."

I rolled my eyes, "That is why he is only considered a man instead of a gentleman. He has the manners of a drill sergeant."

Tikki's eyes glimmered a little before perking up. She quickly zipped back into my pocket just as the door opened with a groan. My father and the doctor walked into the room. The two approached the bedside, talking about mother's only symptom we could decipher. Her deep slumber.

I stepped aside, giving the doctor the needed space to work. I felt a large hand rest on my shoulder and turned my attention to the person attached to it. Father gave me a reassuring look, saying, "How about you go rest? I am sure that you are tired from all the excitement of today."