37

{+}{+}{+}

Adrien's P.O.V

   "I want to thank you again for graciously taking me out for a stroll. It was a very sweet gesture," Zoe expressed her happiness. A giant smile adorned her lips as she excitedly scooped out the area.

   To me, this was a normal pathway I have seen many times. So much so, I recognize the faces of people though I have never once talked to them. But to Zoe, this must be a magical experience that she would remember forever and never take for granted.

   This only shows how little she actually gets out and around.

   Yet, I would not blame Lady Olympia for not allowing Zoe out of the house.

Zoe would have no way of protecting herself if something were to happen and neither does Lady Olympia. The old hag may have some sort of power but it might not be as strong as it was in her prime. Plus, her dysfunctional eyesight would make things more difficult.

"Woah! What is this thing?" a young boy curiously ran over to investigate Zoe's transporting chair. Zoe smiled at the inquisitive boy explaining everything to him until his mother called for him to stop bothering us.

"Oh, what a darling young man he was," Zoe cooed over the child, "I do hope to be blessed with children of my own one day. What about you, Adrien?"

I was not expecting the question and had to take a moment to process an answer.

"Possibly?" I shrugged, unknowingly. I do dream of having a family but who knows how long the war will continue. I would rather wait for it to be over than settle down to have my future offspring suffer in the poor section.

   Yet, if the war does not end in my lifetime, for however long that may be, I may not reach that dream. It will only be a thing I see in my mind and so far out of my reach that it twinkles in the night sky.

   And that would be okay.

   It would be fine.

   I can bear the ache of this haggard life rather than let my children suffer it too.

   "Your answer has no rhyme or reason. If I may be so bold to ask, why do you question yourself?" Zoe asked, looking up over her shoulder at me, "Do you not believe you will have children at some point? Is there no woman in your life you swoon at the very thought of?"

   I awkwardly scrunched my nose, not sure how to explain my dilemma. There are many confusing circumstances with each path in my life.

   I used to have a woman I loved until she was killed.

   Now...my mind constantly lingers on another woman. One that has definitely caught my attention.

   But not in a romantic way, of course!

   She is an odd and cumbersome woman. One who goes beyond to learn sword fighting (knowing the educational side more than theperformance). Regular females would never have the slightest thought to touch a blade, seeing it as unladylike.

   She is a woman who does not know the simplest farm animals or games. She is both timid and brave. She is good at fitting in and acting like a misfit.

   She has a kind soul and has motivational energy...

   I scratch my head in frustration.

   I do not understand her one bit...but I cannot keep myself from being enraptured—

   I shake the idea away.

   Zoe gasped.

   "Oh, dear! I am sorry! I am so rude! I am interrogating you with such personal questions," she frantically apologized, "You do not need to answer a single one. It is none of my business. We are still acquaintances and it would be awful to ruin our chances at a friendship at the start of our bonding."