30

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

   After I detransformed, I noticed Princess Fragrance was not in the room. I was about to call upon "Ella" but was stopped by mother standing on the other side of the door with a fist raised to knock. Her gray eyes widened, not expecting me to be out of bed. I stood as still as a statue. I may have forgotten I am supposed to be in bed.

   "Dear, you are supposed to be resting," mother scolded, placing her raised hand back at her side.

   "Yes," I nodded in agreement, a nervous smile stretching on my face, "I was just going to call upon my personal servant. I was growing quite parched."

   Mother raised an eyebrow before humming in acknowledgment.

   "There is no need for that. I already had a servant prepare you a chalice of water and a few crackers to nibble on," she explained, gesturing over to the stand next to the bed. I turned to see a tray on the stand with the very items placed on the silver platter. I did not notice that. I was too focused on getting Princess Fragrance.

   "Oh, I did not see that," I admitted, truthfully.

   "It does not matter anymore. It is time for dinner. I had the chef make some soup for you," Mother informed before adding, "I do need you to look...decent. Lord Couffaine, Lady Rossi, and Lady Bourgeois are going to be joining us at the dinner table this evening."

   I blinked.

   "Excuse me?"

{+}{+}{+}

   "Is this...soup?" Chloe tutted in her usual snobbish voice.

   I felt my eye twitch.

   I once again forgot about the traditional meal for the Ladies of the Court. All the ladies gather in celebration when a member finally graduates from a lady to a soon-to-be woman of society. The soon-to-be husband of the lady also joins in for reasons I do not care to remember (not that I ever listened to much of mother's rambles).

   This is the first one we have ever had. Rosemary had never been engaged before she disappeared. Many ladies have gone to the poor section, leaving only a few left: me, Lila, and Chloe.

   "Yes, this is very diminishing than what your mother usually does for meals. At least the last time I was here, the food was slightly better. I think your mother is losing her touch. Probably due to old age," Lila said.

   I sharply glared at them. Are they serious right now? Why do they always act so childish? They are complaining about soup! A poor person would walk miles just to have a taste of this dish and they dare insult it! I grit my teeth and clench my fist under the table.

   "I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for this," Luka defended. I give him a side-eyed look, holding in the urge to step on his foot. Why does there need to be an explanation? Or, is he trying to help me defend my mother's pride? I honestly cannot tell.

   "Yes, there is," I answered, "I have been under a lot of stress and have not been feeling well. So, this is to help me feel better."

Chloe rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"You are probably just faking it to get more attention," she commented. I feel insulted by such false accusations. I can see Chloe doing it, probably talking from experience to get out of occasions she did not want to participate in.

   Yet, she is a spoiled brat. She has a finger wrapped around her father and could get away with anything. She does not have to play a part to not end up in the poor section.