32

{+}{+}{+}

12 years ago...

Juleka's P.O.V

  "Mama! I have finally done it!" I cheered, running up to my mother, "I have learned the floating spell without my wand!"

   "How delightful, my little witchlet!" my mother expressed her happiness for me. She picked me up and held me in her arms.

   "You will be an astounding witch one day, just like your father. I know he would be very proud of you and your brother!"

   A giant smile overcame my lips. Father was a powerful and grand wizard. He won many battles and casted spells faster than any castor could. He was loved by all. Until witchcraft became illegal. A group of special magic killers started to hunt us down.

   Father went from the most famous to an entirely infamous wizard. He had fallen trying to protect us as we escaped.

   I was only two years old when that happened. Me and what is left of my family have been on the run ever since. We have sailed to many places and explored different lands, trying to keep under the law's belt.

   But I am a big girl now—eight years old! I only hope that one day I will follow in father's footsteps and be just as extraordinary as he once was.

   My older brother is following mother's path. He, unfortunately, did not receive the gift of sorcery but he did gain some of our mother's pirate skills.

   "Mama! I finished tying the sails!" my brother informed from the front of the deck.

   "Excellent work, my young scallawag! You both have been doing a fine job and deserve a reward! How about we have some lobster tonight for supper?" Mother declared. My eyes sparkled with joy.

Lobster is our favorite meal but very tricky to get. We occasionally caught a few lobsters if we are lucky enough for them to fall into our fishing nets.

"Yes!" I cheered, "Lobster! Lobster! Lobster!"

Mother let out a hearty chuckle, "That is the spirit, lass. Now, let me get cookin'! Luka, I need you at the wheel to make sure we stay on course!"

"Yes, mama!" Luka responded, taking his place at the wheel. He perked up and dug his hand into his pocket, "Oh, Jewels! I almost forgot I found your spell marbles."

"Thank you!" I gratefully spoke, taking my pouch of spell marbles. I had forgotten where I had put them a few days ago and thought they were lost to the sea. Then, I turned to mother with enthusiastic energy.

"What about me? What do you want me to do?" I asked her. She patted my head, giving me a sweet smile.

"How about you continue to improve on your floating spell while you wait for me to finish supper," she suggested. I nodded and returned to my father's sorcery quarters.

Books and ingredients lined the shelves, filled with many spells, potions, voodoo, and more. A cauldron sat in the middle of the small area.

There is a table with papers and magical instruments to make potions. Unfortunately, I am unable to use any of those until I am of a certain age and have advanced my abilities better. After all, I do not want to make our home explode into flames or accidentally transform it into something else.

I walked up to the cauldron and placed a hand on it. I do have one memory of father though I was quite young. It is of us making a potion together. I do not recall what potion it was but I do know I had a grand time with him if it stuck.