3

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

I gasped, hand covering my mouth while stepping back in shock. Tears prickled at the edges of my widened eyes but held them back like I've done for so many years. The only thing that has kept me sane in this house, cherished most and loved for years.

Mother destroyed it within seconds.

"How dare you-"I was cut off when a hand suddenly collided with my cheek and knocked me to the floor. Jolts of stinging pain tingled through my cheek and burned. My fingers slightly hovered over the spot where mother slapped me, afraid that I would put too much pressure on it and continue to throb.

She turned her back to me with no remorse and walked to the door, opening it. The question came out of my mouth without thinking, "Why don't you love me, mo-"

"You are not my daughter," mother spat, cutting me off again with words like venom.

"You are a disgrace."

She slammed the door shut, leaving me in the dark on the cold floor next to the fire, the only light that destroyed the one thing I loved most. There wasn't any other way to get it back or obtain another one.

The woodcarver would probably be fired for letting me have such an instrument for fighting. It's my fault that that wonderful man is losing his job.

My heart ached and all happiness was burned to ashes in mere seconds like my sword. Why was my life so screwed up? I did everything that the rich expect of me but do they care about trying? No, they only care about perfection, reputation and themselves.

In this world, no one cared about me.

I was all alone.

The first sob escaped from the pain that hit, crushing me entirely until there was nothing left inside. I was empty—torn apart over the years by the absence of love, accompanied by loneliness and left with a girl made of porcelain. I feel so used and wronged by such ungrateful people.

I shakily cried, tears streaming down my face as I used my makeup stand to get onto my feet. I looked in the mirror at a face full of defeat and loss. In a blink of an eye, sadness soon turned to anger as my teeth clenched and a growl escaped through them before hurdling a fist at the mirror.

The glass cracked quite a bit and cut the top of my fingers, blood sliding down my knuckles. It wasn't until feeling something brushing my fingers with the hand keeping me stable. Something felt out of place. There shouldn't be anything on the stand. My inner curiosity grew and gaze fell upon a small black box with red marking on the top.

I blinked a couple of times (with an occasional sniffle), wondering where it came from and who could have possibly left it here. I reached out and picked up the ancient-looking box carefully, not to damage it. I examined it for any names or initials of the owner's markings. There was none on the outside.

"Is it inside?" I thought, opening it up to reveal some cute ladybug styled earrings.

Any rich girl would find them to be a drag for jewelry and throw them away. I wasn't that kind of girl. To me, the earrings were pretty cute and best of all, don't look as expensive as my hairbrush.

I put them on for fun and looked in the mirror before wondering if anyone was looking for them.

A red sphere of light flashed right before my very eyes, making me stumble backwards and trip on my own foot. Gravity pulled me to the floor as the light died down.

Replacing the blinding light, a giant ladybug thing floated near my face. I stared at it for a moment, paralyzed in fear before it opened its eyes.