26

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

   "Be more graceful like a leaf falling from a tree!"

   "Do not avoid your partner's eye contact!"

    "One, two, three! One, two, three! Remember every step! Your dancing has to be absolutely perfect!"

  "Darling, smile like you are having the grandest time of your life!" Mother instructed me over the sound of the ballroom music. Her words made me want to scowl harder but I forced myself with every muscle in my body to smile. Although, I do think my smile might be more frightening and tense than soft and gentle.

   The male I am partnered with did a good job of not showing his true emotions towards my extreme distaste in all of this. Although, his job would be on the line if he refused my mother's wishes.

   Fortunately, the song is nearly over. Then, I can retreat to my bedroom and continue writing letters. I may despise writing those blasted letters but it is a fantastic excuse to not see mother for the rest of the night. My mind began to wander, looking forward to turning in for the night.

   Of course, my foolish mistake would get me into trouble when I am nearly done.

   My partner yelped.

   I stumbled back in guilt.

   The music stopped.

   I can feel eyes burning through my very soul.

   "I am so sorry," I quietly apologized, "I did not mean to step on your foot."

   The servant was about to wave it off when mother stormed over.

   "You piece of filth! What did you do?" she yelled. The man stepped back in fear, unknowing of how to defend himself without making the situation worse.

   I stepped in between the two, narrowing my gaze at my mother.

   "It was not his fault! I lost my focus and accidentally stepped on his foot!" I defended the man. Mother shot me a cold glare.

   "You need to stop defending scum! Do you not recall the last time you did that? You were this close to ruining your entire future," Mother sharply yelled, showing me the length with two fingers close together.

   "I will not stop defending innocent people who have done nothing wrong! People who have remained loyal under you for years and desperately need a job to live their life," I responded with just as much malice.

   "I will not have whatever is left of your reputation be tainted! Your life—reputation depends on it! You will ruin everything you have worked on for years," mother scrambled, caught in her words. I did not care for her slip up. I am sick and tired of these games we play.

   I shake my head, walking backward to gain closer to my bedroom.

   "Mother..." I said in the steadiest tone I could muster, "...you have already ruined everything for me ages ago."

   "Marinette!"

   I stomped out of the ballroom, hoping that man does not pay for my actions. My heels clicked down the dark hallway and my nails dig into the palm of my hands.

   "She is so delusional," I hissed through clenched teeth, wanting to scream. If I do that though, I will cause an unnecessary ruckus.

  "She seems quite stressed about something," Tikki commented.