67

{+}{+}{+}

19 years ago...

Sabine's P.O.V

"I do not understand why you would want me to accompany you to your fencing tournament," I said.

   Gabriel was analyzing his trusty saber. His new assistant, Nathalie, was overseeing the servants preparing Gabriel's fencing outfit.

   "Am I not supposed to be a secret?" I questioned.

   "Nonsense," Gabriel waved me off, "You are no mere secret. You are an ally and close friend of mine. I would like to treat you for accomplishing what many failed too, exterminating that pesky rat."

   "I still do not see why you invited me," I replied, "I have no reason to go."

   "Think of it as me returning a favor then. It is a way to get you out of the mansion without having to go on a covert mission and just have fun. You will not have to hide or commit any deeds," Gabriel explained.

   "You can just relax and enjoy the show. I know you are quite fond of sword fighting. You may even learn a few new fencing tricks from the professionals."

   I pursed my lips thoughtfully. If Gabriel was offering this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, why should I not grasp it? It is rare for the poor to attend and watch events as grand as this. It would be nice if I could learn some more techniques to sharpen my skills. It would be fun to watch a match for once instead of being in one with bloodshed.

   That might be a very nice change of scenery, especially in my line of work.

   "And how exactly am I going to attend with you? Would I be your guard?" I asked. Gabriel frowned at this and let out a sigh.

   "You are by far an amazing warrior and you should always take great pride in that honor. Unfortunately, society will not accept you as one," he explained.

   I scoffed in offense, "Is it because I am a female? That they only see women as trophies for men to show off and bear an heir."

   Gabriel gave a simple nod, "In these times of ours, women are treated unfairly. I do hope that the future changes this someday so that we stand on equal ground, whether it be gender or class. For now, you will be known as an elite servant. You will join Nathalie and Emilie in the seating area."

   I am starting to think this may not be worth my time. I have worked aimlessly through the ranks and became his best fighter. Now, he wants me to rid myself of that honor and pretend to be back to where I first started.

   I take great offense to this!

   I should be walking alongside him as that warrior he deemed me to be. Why cannot a woman have such a title? Why are woman looked down upon as mere objects to raise reputation for their family's name?

   Why are we not good enough?

   Before I could yell at Gabriel, the door to his office creaked open. Gabriel glanced over at the newcomer before a love-struck look crinkled his face. My attention was brought to the intrusion as well, relaxing the tension in my body.

   "Darling," Emilie greeted her husband before doing the same to me, "and Sabine! It is lovely to see you again!"

   "Lady Agreste, the pleasure is mine," I replied with a bow. Emilie was such a sweet and lovely woman. She has never once faked who she was and respected everyone just as Gabriel does. They are both very lucky to have found each other...but their love can be a bit much sometimes.