Chapter 3: Strawberries + Study Dates

Karl awoke in what could only be described as pure panic. He was awake nearly half an hour before his alarm was set to go off. He just laid there, staring up at the ceiling, trying to regulate his breathing. He eventually dragged himself out of bed and down the hallway to the bathroom, starting to run cold water that was chilled even more by the cold earth surrounding the pipes.

Karl splashed his face a couple times, looking into the mirror. "It's not like you go to the candy store to talk to him every honking week Karl, pull yourself together." He splashed some more water on his face before patting it down with a towel. He sleepily made his way back to his bedroom to start tearing his closet apart. The sun filtered through the curtains onto his bed creating pretty light patterns on his clothes as he laid out outfits.

He eventually decided on a pair of lightly torn black skinny jeans and a collared black shirt that had a panel on the chest of a pretty sunset that was a blend of orange and purples. He stood in front of his mirror, fluffing his hair and staring at his terrible eye bags. He was so grateful Monster was on his 'to buy' list. He opened the small mini fridge in his room and took out his last Monster, cracking it open eagerly. Half the can was gone in a few moments as Karl felt himself start to wake up. His heart rate escalated even more as he made his way down the stairs, his usual bounce coming to life with every step.

He entered the kitchen and gave his mom a kiss on the cheek before grabbing a bagel and throwing it in the toaster. Surprisingly candy was not the first thing he ate in the morning. He chatted with his parents, explaining how he had to go help someone with their math after he went to the shop today, he was careful to not say it was the cashier though, he would never live it down. His bagel popped out of the toaster, delightfully warm and ready to melt the thin layer of strawberry cream cheese Karl put on it.

He ate and drank as his steps synched to the music that was playing in his ear buds. He had decided to put on one orange sneaker and one lavender one. His jean jacket rustled gently against his body as his now bagel free hand swung back and forth as he made the 25 minute walk into town. He was trying oh so very desperately to drown out the small but deadly voice of anxiety that was chattering away in the back of his mind.

Karl checked his outfit in the reflection of a window in a near by store before he stood in front of his safe haven. He took one final deep breath as he paused his music opening the door as he was hit with the warmth and pleasant smell of the store.

-----------------

Nicks head snapped up when he heard the little door bell jingle. Shit, it was 3 already? He gave Karl a warm yet nervous smile as he gave him his usual scripted greeting, cursing as his voice cracked slightly at the beginning. He let out a silent sigh of relief when Karl was out of view looking at a case of fudge.

Nick left behind the register and instead went behind the counter.

"Didn't you buy fudge yesterday?" He gave the boy a slight chuckle.

"Yeah, that was for my mom though, she loves cherry fudge, I'm here for my slab and like 5 cans of Monster," Karls eyes never left the case to look up at the other boy.

Nick stared in slight awe at how nice the boy looked today. "Have you tried this one?" He pointed at a slab of milk chocolate fudge with golden chunks in it. "This one is personally my favorite."

Karl directed his attention to the fudge. "No I can't say I have. What is it?"

Nick smiled and cut off a small sample, poking it with a tiny plastic fork. He lifted it up to Karl. "Say 'ah'" He gave a little giggle as Karls face turned slightly pink but he allowed the cashier to put the piece of fudge in his mouth. "It's chocolate and honey comb, pretty good huh?"