Chapter 11: Cookies + Close Calls

Small content warning just a little heads up if you will Sapnap is going to have some spicy thoughts 🤠

-------------------

Thursday was another boring day of school. Karl had just finished lunch and was sitting in his math class, trying very hard to not look over his shoulder to look at Nick. He could hear the boy talking in a hushed tone with one of his friends, angelic but muffled sounds of laughter left the older boys lips. Karl shook his head slightly staring back down at his paper. His leg bounced under the table and his left hand got tangled in his hair. The equation was easy, a formula he knew like the back of his hand, but he was so distracted.

Nicks eyes continued to flicker around the room, not being able to decide if he wanted to be polite and make eye contact with his friend, pay attention to class and look at his worksheet, or burn the image of Karl into his brain. He finally decided on the second choice after weighing out the pro's and con's. He quickly copied down what was on the board, plugging in numbers to the formula before punching it all into a graphing calculator.

The bell rang clearly through the school. Students standing up having already packed their things and making their way to the door. Nick walked up to Karl's desk.

"Hey," He gave him a warm smile.

"O-Oh hey Nick!" Karl gave a nervous giggle as he returned the smile.

"I was wondering if maybe you'd like to hang out after school? Dream and Georgie are going on a date," Nick said leaning back on an empty desk as Karl put on his backpack.

"Oh sure! Dang they must go on a lot of dates if they're going on one today and then another one on Saturday," Karl took the lead leaving the classroom.

Nick swore under his breath slightly forgetting his own cover story. "Oh yeah, Dream is uhm, quite the hopeless romantic," Nick started as he caught up to the slightly taller boy, "And George just likes excuses to go out and be with Dream so it all works out." Nick rubbed the nape of his neck nervously as Karl shrugged.

"I'll meet you by the front doors then?" Karl stood in front of his classroom, nearly missing it because of how distracted he was.

"Yeah totally, it sounds like a plan," Nick gave light laughter as he spun on his heel and headed to his sixth hour.

-------------

Karl sat patiently in the main lobby, waiting for a familiar head of dark hair, pulled back by a white bandana, to enter. After a few moments he noticed Nick walk in his general direction with a girl on his arm.

"Jess seriously, I have to go I don't have time to go behind the bleachers- see look," Nick tugged his arm free, "I have to go work on a project with Karl now, it's due tomorrow."

"For what class?" The cheerleader pouted.

Karl couldn't help but interject when he saw Nick start to hesitate.

"It's for a film editing class," Karl grabbed onto Nicks arm, "my mom said that she's making snacks so we need to go now." Karl gave the girl a small wave before she could object, as he dragged the cashier out of the school.

The two boys walked up to Nicks truck as they laughed about the situation.

"She's so convinced I'm asking her to prom," Nick snorted. He hadn't realized Karl was still holding onto him.

"Oh you're not? I thought you were," Karl frowned, but inwardly he was smiling. He regretfully let go of Nick and walked to the passenger side of the car.

"God no, she's pretty and nice and whatever, but not my type," he gave a small sideways glance towards Karl, "I prefer people who are," he let his 'are' drag on before shrugging and dropping the conversation.