Chapter 13: Milkyways + Movies

Karl and Nick stared at each other, they couldn't look away. Had this been some cheesy rom com film like Karl thought it would be, they would've jumped at each other and started kissing like it was the end of the world, but it wasn't a cheesy rom com. Karl eventually slapped a hand over his mouth and looked out the window.

"I'm sorry. I made it weird, I'm weird. You just- You're- You look so good right now and, and- and I just couldn't," Karl let out a sigh after tripping over his own words, "I just couldn't stop myself from telling you I guess," Karl looked down at this twiddling thumbs, wishing he could turn back time with each rotation.

Karl's breath hitched when he felt a rough hand gently cup his cheek, making him look at Nick who was sporting a soft smile. "It's okay Karl, it wasn't weird. Thank you," Nicks hand lingered on the boys jaw before he remembered they had to get to the cinema. He handed Karl his unlocked phone, Spotify opened as he reversed out of Karl's driveway. Karl tapped a random playlist had and hit shuffle. After the little act that had just happened, one could only assume how embarrassed the two bisexuals felt when Sweater Weather came on. Karl set the phone down and bit his jacket sleeve, keeping his gaze out the window.

"Hey Nick?" Karl asked quietly.

"What's up?"

"What is this to you?" Karl pondered as the car came to a stop at the red light.

Nick looked over to the boy who couldn't make eye contact even if he wanted to. "What do you mean?" He wanted to make sure he understood what Karl was asking.

"Like, are we just hanging out third wheeling our friends, or-" Karl took a deep breath. He blindly reached his hand out and rested it on top of Nicks on the stick- "is this more than just us hanging out?" Karl hoped he hadn't read the situation wrong.

For a moment he was scared as he felt Nicks hand shift underneath his, but all of his fears melted when he realized Nick was only turning his hand over to gently grasp Karl's. The small gesture got Nicks point across better than words would have. Both boys were smiling like total idiots. Nick pressed on the gas and they continued down the street to the movies.

They found a parking spot and for the first time since they started they looked at each other. Karl's face was still dusted pink, this whole day had felt like a dream. He really hoped he hadn't crashed from the caffeine and fallen asleep. He needed this to be real. Nick squeezed his hand before letting go and stepping out of the car. The two boys entered the building and found George and Dream. George booked it to the front of the theater and pounced on Karl.

"Karl!" He hugged his friend enthusiastically.

Karl laughed as he wrapped his arms around the smaller boy. Dream walked up to Nick and gave him a decently strong pat on the back, knocking Nick out of whatever dream state he was in. He reached up and ruffled the dirty blond hair of his best friend.

"So what are we watching?" Karl asked, he was quite frankly the only one in the dark about all of this.

"Oh uh, it's a reshowing of the third Harry Potter movie, I hope that's ok," Nick said as he stopped rough housing with Clay.

"Oh that's awesome! I just finished reading that book like two weeks ago," Karl giggled.

"You're only just now reading Harry Potter?" George said as he rolled his eyes slightly.

"Aye leave him alone Georgie, I bet you don't even have the brains to read a book as long as Harry Potter," Nick retorted.

Dream decided that today, and for the sake of Karl, he wouldn't let his friends entertaining bickering continue. "Boys boys that's enough or you're both grounded," Dream gave a small chuckle.