Chapter 8: Salt Water Taffy + Skateboards

Math was more bearable than any of Karl's other classes. Most people had seemed to move on from the rumors, deciding that whomever had started it was over reacting.

Karl fought the urge to look over his left shoulder at Sapnap. He was unusually aware of his body and actions today, feeling Nicks gaze. He was already red in the face until the worst possible thing could have happened.

"Karl, since you seem to be paying such close attention what's the answer for the problem on the board," Mrs. Crane looked down her nose at Karl.

A few of his classmates snickered as he panicked his eyes flying over the board trying to work out the math quickly. He opened his mouth to say he didn't know the answer when something even more horrific happened.

"Mrs. Crane, I-" Karl was cut off.

"Mrs. Crane, aren't we supposed to call you Ms. Andrews now since your husband divorced you?" Sapnap gave the teacher and innocent smile.

The whole classroom erupted into muffled laughter and snorts as the teacher started looking back and forth from a red faced Karl who was about to pass out from not breathing and a doubled over Nick.

"Both of you, principals office. Now," the math teacher was taken aback but the unwelcomed behavior from Nick.

"What, why Jacobs? He didn't do anything," Nick said as he swung his backpack over his shoulder.

"I don't wanna hear it, he's clearly your accomplice," Ms. Andrews picked up the classroom phone and dialed the office.

-----------------

The two boys walked quietly.

"Hey, I'm sorry," Nick apologized, "You weren't meant to get in trouble too."

Karl let out a small breathy laugh. "I know Nick, it was still a sweet gesture," Karl played with the sleeves of the oversized hoodie, "If we get detention, oh well at least it'll be together."

Nick smiled at the boys optimism as he opened the door to the office, holding it open for Karl. The two boys ended their small exchange of words and sat in the uncomfortable folding chairs outside the principals office.

"Karl Jacobs, Nick Armstrong," A deeper voice laced with disappointment spoke through the thin door.

Sapnap stood up and happily strutted into the office, Karl following sheepishly behind him. The door clicked behind them and they sat down in chairs. They looked like total opposites.

Nick was leaning back into his chair like it was his recliner at home that he watched football in, his body language radiated confidence, he wasn't scared of the principals office. He'd been here plenty of times.

Karl on the other hand had his hands folded in between his acid washed jeans. He was hunched forward, his right leg bouncing up and down rapidly. His face felt like it was on fire and his eyes were scarily close to betraying him.

"How's it hanging Mr. Smith?" Nick beamed at the man in front of them who was straightening out his suit.

"Nick, I'm not surprised to see you in my office, however I am surprised to see you here Karl," The principal gave Karl a small frown, tears were threatening to leak from his eyes.

"Cause he shouldn't be here," Nick said nonchalantly, regaining Mr. Smith's attention, "Ms. Andrews made an assumption that Karl was involved in my poorly timed question that just happened to be really funny. To be quite honest with you sir, I barely know who this kid is," Nick let out a cheerful laugh.

Karl knew Nick was lying just to cover for him which meant the world, but it still hurt to hear him say those things because they were still true to some extent.