Chapter 14: Suckers + Sunday Showers

Nick drove home with the most love stricken grin on his face, just like the day he asked Karl to the movies. His right hand gripped the steering wheel as he drove down the quiet streets, the sun was nearly set. His left hand played with the small chain around his neck as he boped his head
to the music slightly. He turned down his street and parked in his drive way, and he stayed sitting in his car. He wished Karl was still in the passenger seat. It felt strange not to have his slightly smaller hand intertwined in his own. He reached for his phone and dialed Dreams number.

"Hey man what's up," Dreams voice rang through the phone.

"I... I'm not sure, I just felt compelled to call you I guess," Nick trailed off as he hopped out of his car.

"How was the car ride home with him?" Georges voice chimed in faintly

Nick froze. "I nearly kissed him," He whispered.

"What do you mean nearly!" Both boys on the line yelled together.

"He fell asleep so I jokingly said 'don't make me recreate Sleeping Beauty' and then he said something along the lines of 'you won't' so I grabbed his chin and pulled him closer to me and we stared at each other but," Nick took a deep breath, "But he said he wasn't ready so I just kissed him on the cheek instead."

George could be heard screaming into a pillow while Clay chuckled at his friends love life situations.

"Anything else happen- Jesus christ George what the fuck did you do to my neck!" Dream cut himself off.

Sapnap rolled his eyes at his friends exclamation. "He did tell me he liked me though," Nick said as he kicked his bedroom door closed behind him, "So that's a plus."

The three boys chatted for a few hours before Nick said he had to go to bed cause he had work in the morning. Nick dragged himself to the bathroom before blasting some music knowing that no one else in the house was even thinking about going to sleep yet. He let hot water flow over his skin as he ran his fingers through soapy hair. He really hoped things wouldn't be awkward tomorrow, or that Karl wouldn't have regretted anything had said.

-----------

Karl was bouncing about his room the next morning. Last night was amazing. Nick liked him back. Nick legitimately like him back! He was giggly all through out breakfast causing a full interrogation from his parents which he refused to answer. 

"Bye mom, bye dad," he sung as he waltzed out the door leaving his parents exchanging confused looks.

Karl had an especially spring in his step today, skipping to the candy store. He just needed Monster today, he hadn't eaten much candy as of late so he thought he'd spend a little extra on the canned battery acid. His music taste today was slightly different, he stumbled slightly as he skipped trying to learn the new rhythms he had picked up from Nick.

He got to the store faster than normal due to the quicker pace, he opened the door without hesitation and bounced up to the counter.

"Hi Nick," He giggled slightly as he noticed how tired the other boy looked.

Nick gave him a sleepy smile as he pushed about 8 cans of Monster forward. "G'mornin' Karl," his voice was still rough with sleep making Karl's heart flutter slightly.

"Did you not sleep last night?"

"Couldn't, to busy thinking about you," Nick  folded his arms on the counter and rested his head atop them, staring about at the colorful boy. The store lights hung behind his head from Nicks point of view, creating almost a halo effect.

Karl blushed but didn't break eye contact with the boy. He reached for two monsters and cracked them both open. "Here, take one. You look like you need it," his smile was soft, calmed by the tired and relaxed aura Nick held about him.

The two boys had downed a can of Monster each, Karl then paid for the eight cans but he didn't leave this time. Instead, he hopped on top of the fudge counter, swinging his legs slightly. Nick laughed under his breath as he followed his sugar addict. He placed a hand on either side of Karl, staring up at him slightly.

"Can we," Nick started, his filter slowly coming back as the energy drink woke him up," Can we talk about last night?"

Karl searched Nicks face, worried that maybe he had done something wrong last night. Maybe he should have just kissed Nick right then and there, he might have missed his only chance. Nick leaned in slightly closer, Pipeline Punch breath mingled with Ultra Blue creating a sweet,  fruity aroma. Karl nodded his head slightly,  barely noticing the gravitational pull between Nick's lips and his own due to the hand he now felt on his waist.

The world around Karl started to blur, he was only able to focus on Nicks eyes, silently asking for his consent to kiss him. Karl was going to say yes, he wanted this, there was no doubt at all in his mind. He wanted to know what it felt like to press his own slightly chapped lips against Nick's. He felt his eyes flutter shut, his head tilted subconsciously right-

Ding

"Hey Nick! Sorry I'm late again my, my mom... she," Rachel, stood awkwardly in the middle of the store staring at her shoes, "um, am I interrupting something?" The poor sophomore was a vibrant shade if red as she saw her coworker only a few inches from a customers face.

Nick sighed and dropped his head. "Rachel- Nevermind, no you're not, just go clock in." Nick growled slightly.

Rachel nodded curtly before sprinting back behind the counter. Nick looked back up at Karl whose face was totally red. He sighed again.

"I guess this just isn't the right time either," He gave a sad strained smile, "You should probably head home-"

The cashier was cut off by the clap of thunder and the flash of lighting. A hard and fast rhythm if rain came down quickly on the stores roof, echoing through the whole building. Rachel whipped out of the back.

"What the hell was that?" She scanned the pink and purple walls to make sure nothing had fallen.

"Just a thunder storm," Nick said, finally letting go of Karl's waist and turning to his coworker, "Will you be alright here by yourself?"

Rachel nodded her head quickly, before slowly shaking her head. "To be honest Nick, I hate thunder storms." To prove her point the sky boomed once more cause her to jump slightly.

Nick made his way across the store in three paces before enveloping the smaller girl in a tight, brotherly embrace. "Hey we'll be fine in here ok? There's like, five different procedures for storm drills and I know all five like the back of my hand," Nicks voice was gentle as he beamed down at the girl.

Karl smiled, slightly jealous since he wished he could be in Nicks arms at that moment, however this girl was clearly shaking in her boots so he didn't mind. Nick guided Rachel behind the counter and had her sit down and plug in her earbuds. Once she was settled he turned back to Karl. He took a few, slower steps.

"Now," He placed a hand on the counter in front of him pinning Karl once more, "Where were we?"

Thunder boomed one more time as the store was filled with bright white light. When it faded there stood Nick, with his hand gently on Karl's jaw tilting it, their lips were just barely not touching.

---------------

A/N: tee hee

sorry this ones short and a cliff hanger, ill try to write for yall tomorrow when I get my phone back after school tomorrow :)