Epilogue

Karl walked with a bounce in his step always, it was hard not to since he was always high on sugar. It was a particularly sunny April morning, a gentle breeze encouraged a brisk pace. Karl was headed to work, music playing in his ears as he sipped on the white can of Monster had had been drinking since high school. He was 23 now, and happily married to the man on his right, fingers intertwined. The route to work was unfamiliar had high school Karl taken it, but the destination was unchanged.

The scent of the store never failed to relax his entire body. It made him feel tingly and pleasant, like he never wanted to leave the delightful shop. The low hum of a mixer could be heard as the fudge was being mixed. Towers of salt water taffy's littered the floor. The walls were lined with jars filled with gummies and chocolates, 3.50 a pound. Bags of brightly colored kettle corn hung from the ceiling directing Karl's attention to the counter.

Rachel, a girl he had become close with and had started to consider a younger sister figure waved sleepily behind the register.

"G'morning Karl, Nick," She yawned and sipped on her iced coffee.

Nick let go of Karls hand, fingers lingered before he took his place behind the counter and grabbed his and his husbands apron. Karl caught the fabric flying through the air and tied it behind his back. He stared at the fudge counter, still the same from when he was 17, where he and Nick had shared their first kiss during one of the worst storms in april 5 years ago. It was crazy to think their 5 year anniversary was right around the corner.

Karl always felt nostalgic about the store, though he had never stopped coming religiously on weekends. He was always filled with random, small memories of all the times he and Nick had flirted in the retro store. Speaking of flirting and Nick, the man in question had come up behind Karl, burying his head in Karl's neck.

"Honey, we're at work, no PDA," Karl giggled as he nuzzled his cheek into Nick's hair.

"I know sweetheart, why did we have to say we would cover for Rachel? Do you know how many minutes that girl owes me?" Nick groaned.

"Hey! That was my mom's fault I have never been a minute late since I got my license!" Rachel retorted as she fixed her hair slightly, the apron messed it up slightly. "How do I look?" She twirled for her bosses.

"Gorgeous, now go before your date gets mad at you," Karl shooed the girl, he had picked up some of his mothers tendencies.

"Oh please, if anyones going to be late it'll be her," Rachel rolled her eyes and waved goodbye.

It was just Karl and Nick. Like Saturday mornings 5 years ago. Karl took his regular spot on the fudge counter, Nick resting his hands on either side of his husbands waist.

"I think kissing you, right here," Nick nodded at their spot, "Yeah, it was definitely the best decision of my life," Nick smiled before kissing his husband lovingly. 

"God I am so honking in love with you," Karl giggled as he hugged his husband.

"I'm glad you came into this god forsaken store we now own, every weekend morning, otherwise I might have never gotten the courage to make my move," Nick gave Karl a small eskimo kiss causing the half-retired streamer to giggle.

"What do you mean?" Karl asked.

"Babe, I was crazy for you since like- before I even smoked, maybe ninth grade? You're the whole damn reason I came to the conclusion I was bi," Nick snorted.

It was picture perfect. A soulmate bond, something that couldn't be broken over death or space time. Something more addicting than caffeine and sugar or getting high. It was everything the two boys had wanted. Something just like this.