Chapter 18: Sundaes + Skipping

For the second time in the past week, Nick awoke to an unfamiliar alarm sound and an unknown weight on his chest. He groaned as he blindly reached for wherever the hellish noise was coming from. The weight on top of him shifted and he felt arms squeeze his sides. Finally, Nick's hand found someone's phone and he turned off the alarm titled 'School'. The raven haired boy opened an eye to see Karl, face scrunched up as he desperately tried to go back to sleep.

"Karl," Nick croaked out, "We gotta get up for school," he ran his fingers through Karl's sleep-disheveled hair, placing a kiss on the top of his head.

"Don't wanna get up," Karl whined, "You're comfy."

Nick sat up to put an end to the younger boys protests. Karl reached blindly for a throw blanket and placed it over his head. Nick laughed quietly and rolled his eyes. Waking up with Karl was amazing but he felt not so great. Neither of the boys had eaten dinner last night, they had both fallen asleep before they could brush their teeth, and Nick's sweats and hoodie were uncomfortably warm.

"Come on Jacobs," He clapped his hands, "If you aren't ready in 5 Alex is your ride." Nick walked out of the bedroom and down stairs to where he had the most awkward encounter of his life, and that's saying something considering he's walked in on his friends once or twice.

"Good morning Nick, breakfast is almost ready," Mrs. Jacobs smiled, looking over her shoulder in front of the stove, "Did you sleep well?"

Nick nodded as he slowly sat at the table where Mr. Jacobs was sipping a cup of black coffee. Nick gave him a silent nod, leaning back into the chair praying Karl would come down soon. Luckily for him he did. Quick footsteps pounded down the stairs, Karl stood in the hallway of the kitchen, can of Monster in hand as he made his way over to the table to sit next to Nick.

"Good morning!" He cheered loudly.

"Well aren't you chipper, why the sudden change of attitude," Nick mused as a plate was set in front of him, "o-oh wow! Thank you Mrs. Jacobs, it smells and looks delicious."

The woman smiled as she set a plate in front of her son. Steamy pancakes the were at least half an inch thick, littered with small chocolate chips sat temptingly in front of him. The two boys ate and talked about their classes for the day. Karl pulled out his phone texting Alex he had a ride and he didn't need to leave early to get him.

Sapnap pulled out his own phone, ignoring the missed calls and texts to check the time. "I need to swing by my place so I can grab my bag and clean clothes, I can drop you off at the school first though to make sure you aren't late."

Karl nodded and stood up. He grabbed both of their plates and went to the entrance to kick on his shoes, Nick following him. He snatched his keys off the table he had left them on and unlocked the car, the headlights flashing. Karl leaned back into his chair.

"What if we skipped?" He blurted out.

"I'm sorry- what?" Nick looked at him as he turned the keys in the ignition.

"Well you're 18, so you can call yourself out right?" Karl asked sheepishly.

"Yeah, what about you though?" Nick put the truck in reverse.

"I'll have you call my mom and say when we got to your house I threw up, and then you ask her if it's ok with her if you just leave me here until after school since you're running late?" Karl passed the idea to the football player who grinned ear to ear.

"Can I get Dream and George in on this- Oh god they don't know about anything that happened yesterday," Nick started driving to his house, "Oh we can prank them good Jacobs."