Chapter 2

The words sunk in. I heard a straggle in my throat, unsure of what to do or say. Slowly, my shaking hand reached my mouth and clasped over it. This can't be happening, it just couldn't.

I stood opposite my parents. Dad, who has his arms crossed over his chest, and mum, who kept her distance, stood there with a suitcase in her hand. She was leaving, actually leaving and it was all HIS fault. I looked to my left where Louis stood. A tear ran down his cheek as he blinked. Slowly, I reached out and took his hand into mine. He's too young, he's too young for this. I'm old enough to understand, but not him, not little Louis. He's only 9.

Emotions took over my body turning from upset to anger. I couldn't control my body or my emotions. From the corner of my eye, I could see my mum patiently waiting for me to say something. But I wasn't going to say anything.

Nothing bad, she said. Nothing bad. Suddenly my anger had turned away from my dad to my mum. SHE is leaving, not him. HER. SHE is walking out of my life and SHE is the one who won't even look back because SHE is too scared. And I was sick of it. Sick of people telling me what to do and sick of people letting me down and sick of people walking out of my life. My mum stepped forward and hugged me lovingly. I stiffened under her touch and didn't move. She slowly let go and looked at the floor. She finally understood. She finally understood that I was angry. Angry at her.

She smiled at Louis and walked past us. Louis grabbed her arms and hugged her, whispering beneath his tears.

"Don't go, mummy. Please don't go." Mum kneeled next to him and ran her timid fingers through his hair.

"I'll be back Louis, I promise." I felt my own mouth opening.

"Don't make promises you can't keep." I say as mum looks up at me, tears in her eyes. I felt a tear roll down my cheek and wipe it away.

I was done with her. I was done with everything. The sooner she left, the better. I stormed past mum and Louis and stormed upstairs. As soon as I got to the top, I turned around. The back of mum's head was just visible.

"I hate you and your shitty problems!" As soon as I said it, I regretted it. I watched my mum slowly get up and face me. Uh oh.

She smiled and walked out of the front door.

My whole body sunk to the ground. My tears finally took over and I was weeping into the ground. She was gone. It's all my fault, it's all my fault. I could have stopped her, I could have done anything. But I didn't. All I did was get angry and give her more of a reason to leave. Suddenly my dad was at the bottom of the stairs.

"Stop being a baby and come down. Make breakfast for a Louis."

He walked into the front room and closed the door behind him. Instantly, I did what he told me to do.

I felt stupid as I put in some cornflakes for Louis. I always listen and do what everyone tells me to do. I never do my own thing. But with mum gone, who was I to say no to? Him? I would if I wanted a beating. Which I don't. So for now, I better keep my mouth shut.

I put the cornflakes in front Louis and I run upstairs, into my bedroom. The door slammed shut behind me. My phone sat on the bedside table, and I reached out to get it. But as I reached, I tripped over my sketch pad that was still laying on the floor. I looked down at my sketch pad and took a deep breath. Pictures of mum were in there. Pictures of us together, that I had drawn. My hands shook as I picked it up off the ground and held it heavily in both of my hands. It was a lot heavier than normal. I opened the book. The first drawing was a family picture. I drew it at the beach, before... Well... Before he hit her. I was only 11 so it wasn't the best family portrait I had done. Actually, it was the only family portrait I had ever done. I couldn't draw my dad the same way after that.

I turned the page. It was the first picture that I drew of my mum that was actually good. The tears came quick and fast. Stop crying, you baby. But I couldn't. Dad is right, you are a baby. I threw the book across the room and screamed at the top of my lungs.

I fell to the ground and weeped in to my hands. The floods just kept coming and coming.

I was so irritated, curling my hand into and out of a ball. I pursed my lips, thinking about what just happened makes me want to... Scream. Scream at mum and tell her she made a mistake, a huge mistake. Except... It wasn't a mistake to her.