Chapter 15

Sitting through biology was an unpleasant experience. The main reason that I chose biology for my A levels is because my dad wanted me to choose something that will further my career and 'spring me into a blossoming future'. I knew that to please my dad, I would have to do something that he would want me to do. I remember my mum begging me to do something that made ME happy and I was going to. But then my dad threatened her. He told her that if I didn't choose the subjects that gave me a decent future, then both me AND my mum had to pay. Except, the subjects I would have chosen would have given me a great future as an artist, but obviously, that's 'not good enough'. So now, I am stuck learning biology in a classroom full of smart people. Great.

"Kaylee."

I quickly look up, scanning the room for whoever called me. I see a fairly tall teacher with long, blonde hair and brown eyes smiling towards me, her arms clutching a black clipboard.

"Yeah?" I ask, wondering what the hell is going on.

"Can I talk to you outside please?" The woman asks, glancing at the biology teacher who is quietly sitting on her desk.

"Um, sure." I say, standing from my desk and walking out of the classroom, ignoring all the pairs of eyes watching my every move.

"We're just going to reception, where she's waiting."

She? Who's she?

"Okay." I say, not wanting to anger this really nice staff member with my questions.

As we reach reception, my heart thuds in my chest, beating against my rib cage. Until I see her. My mum. She is sitting silently on the reception seats, her left leg bouncing up and down.

"Well, here she is, Mrs Avery." The teacher remarks as she stands awkwardly in the middle of us.

My mum's head quickly jerks up, her eyes wide as she takes in my sight. A small smile plays on her lips as she stands and reaches in to hug me. On instinct, I jerked back, looking guiltily at the floor as soon as I saw my mum's horrified reaction.

"Well, let's go!" The teacher chimes in, walking towards the conference room door. What is going on? What is mum doing here?

As the uncomfortable woman holds the door for us, my mum and I walk in, standing uncomfortably near the huge round desk. The woman gives us a small smile before saying, 'I'll give you guys a couple of minutes.' And with that, she walks out, closing the door behind her.

Quickly, I sit down on one of the dark grey chairs at the desk, still staring at the floor. Mustering up some bravery, I open my mouth to speak.

"What's... What's going on?" I asked her, hoping to get an honest answer.

"That's the college... counselor."

My head snaps up, eyeing my mum as she awkwardly sits opposite me.

"Why do we need the college counselor?" I question, already knowing the answer.

"Because Kaylee, you aren't answering your calls or texts and I need to talk to you."

Her timid hand reaches out to touch mine, quickly I push the chair back and jump up.

"We don't need one. I don't answer because I don't want to talk to you."

I am trying to keep my temper at bay, I can't explode in front of my mum, hell, even at college.

"Sweetie, please..."

She's begging. Begging for my forgiveness. But how can I forgive her for walking away? For leaving me with dad when she knew what he was like?

"No, I don't want to see you."

"Kaylee, I love you..."

A mother who leaves you and then shows up without warning is not someone who loves, or is even trying to love you. That is someone who is a coward and is weak.

"No you don't mum, because you walked away."

"Because of your father-"

"No, mum! You walked away from me! You walked out of my life, out of Louis' life! If you loved us, you wouldn't have left us."

Oh dear god, I hope that teacher comes back because this conversation is over.

"Kaylee, do you not believe I love you? I have fought for you, I have raised you!"

My mum takes a step towards me, her eyes soaked with tears.

"You couldn't even raise Daniel. You let him leave, are you going to let me leave as well?" My anger is boiling, my heart beat quickening. I can't stop these words from tumbling out. "Or are you going to give me an extra kick out of the door? You tried to be a mother and you didn't succeed. So don't try to be here for me now."

She takes a step back, clearly shocked by my words. She wipes the tears from her eyes and fixes her posture.

"Y- You're right, this was a mistake."

What? She slumps into the chair, placing her head into her hands.

"What?" I stagger, taken aback by her quitting so easily.

Her head quickly looks up, her eyes red from crying.

"You don't need me anymore, so I'll try to keep my distance from you."

"What? Mum, you're supposed to fight for me!"

She slowly gets up, taking a couple steps back.

"Not if you don't want me to."

Of course I want her to fight for me. I want her to put in the effort of being a mother. A friend. But she can't do it. She can't be a good mum without help. That's why that damn teacher is here. Right on cue, the tall woman enters the room, her smile evaporating as she sees the state we are in.

I storm past my mum, past the teacher and out of the room. I can't do it. I can't do this. I can't reconnect with my mum after nearly a month of silence. Not from her, but from me. I can't show her that I can be the daughter she wants me to be. She did this to me, she ruined me. All because she left me.

As I turn the corner around the building, my body collides with something, and as I look up to see who it is, my mouth falls open and my heart leaps out of my chest. It's Ferris.

"Woah," He says, holding my shoulder to stop me from falling. A tingling sensation travels down my arm as Ferris smiles down at me.

"Sorry," I say, before laughing it off awkwardly.

"It's okay," He says, removing his hand from my shoulder.

A small frown takes over my face, disturbed by the loss of contact.

"What's wrong?" Ferris quickly asks, sensing my distress.

"Nothing," I say. "It's just... My mum." I let out a big sigh, watching as Ferris' face turned from confusion to worry.

Feeling the need to continue, I open my mouth again.

"We haven't been talking, and she's... She's just on my case, that's all."

Ferris' neutral expression turns into a small frown as he takes an alarming step closer towards me.

"And are you okay?" He places his hand on the wall behind me as my back hits the brick. I'm cornered. Not that I'm complaining... My heart is beating out of my chest uncontrollably, hitting my rib cage violently.

"Erm..."

I can't control my emotions, as my mouth opens and closes, but not producing any words. I long for his touch, to feel his lips on mine...

But I know that I can't do this. Not to Christina. She would hate me if this happens. She doesn't have to know...

Before I can think, my lips collide with his, surprising both me and him.

A/N: Kill me now.

I know this book is so stupid and cringe and childish lol.

Wtf Kaylee is such a bipolar little bitch. Just fuck off you bloody childish git. 

-H 🤍