Chapter 43

I really didn't want to go to college. I tried to cover my bruise with makeup, but if I smudge it, it's all over.

Last night, I snuck out of my house and gave all of Louis' essentials to mum after she sent me her address. It gave me a chance to look at her housing, and, her flat was half the size of our house. We had a small house, and she lived somewhere even cramped. I had to leave quickly so dad didn't get suspicious, which is something he has been a lot lately.

Ferris hasn't spoken to me since he went home after the hospital and I'm not sure whether he's healing or if he's purposefully ignoring me. He hasn't answered any of my phone calls, and replied to my messages with one-word answers. I don't want to act out and do something that I'll probably regret, so I'll try to track him down at college and talk to him.

As I enter the college gates, I see him straight away. He's near the building, having a conversation with- is that Tyler?

Oh, God. Ferris is speaking to Tyler. Someone who he beat up. I speed up, catching up to the both of them. Tyler is scanning Ferris' face with confusion and as soon as he sees me, a grin widens on his face.

"Kaylee, hey! I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." Then, he pulls me in and puts his arm around my shoulder. "How've you been?" I look up at him in confusion, sensing that he's only doing it to piss off Ferris.

When I flick my gaze over at my boyfriend, he's looking at the ground between us, his jaw clenched and his eyebrows furrowed. He glances up at me before looking away again, his hands turning into fists at his side.

"I'm great, Tyler. In fact, I actually need to have a quick word with Ferris. I'll speak to you in history class." I move out of his grasp and grab Ferris's hand, dragging him behind me.

"Kaylee." He tries to stay back but I pull him forward, into an empty closet. "I'm gonna get late for class."

"When have you ever cared about class, Ferris? You don't mind skipping class with me." I lock the door and push him against it, leaving my fingers on his chest. "What's wrong?"

He sighs, rubbing his palms over his face. His fingers wrap around my wrist and he gently pushes me back, moving to sit on the chair in the corner of the closet. He puts his head in his hands before looking up at me, distress evident in his eyes.

Something is very, very wrong.

"Ferris..." I lean down in front of him, closing my fingers around his wrists. "Ferris, please talk to me. Is this about my dad? Do you not wanna... be with me anymore?"

Ferris sits up quickly, shaking his head. "Of course I want to be with you, Kaylee. And your dad's never going to change that." He strokes my cheek before lifting me up and placing me on his lap. I straddle him, placing my thighs on either side of him. "I want to be with you so bad, it's fucking killing me." He whispers, touching our foreheads together.

"So what... what's wrong? You haven't been answering my calls."

Ferris looks at me. His eyes are filled with despair and pain, longing and regret. I fear the worst and hold my breath, waiting for him to drop a bomb on me.

"I'm... I'm leaving." Okay... that wasn't as bad as I had thought.

"Oh. Okay. How long for?"

Ferris shakes his head, his hands resting on my hips. "No, not like that, Kay. I'm... I'm moving out of the country."

There it was. The words that left his mouth that broke me. That pulled at my heartstrings and refused to let go. These are the words that had a chokehold on me, squeezing harder and harder the more I looked into his heartbroken eyes.

"Y...you're moving? Where to?"

"The states. Mississippi." And my heart broke even more.

"Mississippi." I repeat. "That's... far."

Ferris nods his head. I see the shimmer of tears in his eyes but he blinks them away. His hands tighten on my hips and they circle around my waist, pulling my into his chest. I rest my head on his shoulder and he runs his thumb down my back.

"My parents have job offers there." He explains, his voice breaking as he speaks. "We're gonna leave at the end of summer, and they won't let me stay here. I guess it's my own fault, to be honest. I got into too many fights and when I went home after the hospital-"

My breathing quickens.

"-It was the last straw."

I circle my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me.

"I don't wanna to, Kay. Believe me, I don't." Ferris whispers, his breath hitting my collarbone. "But I don't have a choice."

"But you'll be eighteen... can't you-"

Ferris shakes his head. "My birthday's not till the end of September. Technically, they can do whatever the hell they want with me."

Ferris's hands are on my shoulder, squeezing them; reassuring me.

"I don't wanna leave you alone, Kay. Especially alone with your dad. I want to stay by your side and help you and protect you and keep you safe. I can't do that from-" His voice breaks, his forehead landing on my shoulder. "-From 5000 miles away."

Is this what heartbreak feels like? The dull ache in the middle of my chest, refusing to go away, the desperate pull of my heart, begging me not to let him go.

How can I be so full of love and heartbreak at the same time?

Everything was so perfect. We were perfect. But, we ended so soon. I know for sure that I don't want to live without Ferris. I didn't want to know what it felt like to spend the rest of my life without him, because I know the heartache would be too much. I wouldn't survive.

"Look at me, Kaylee." Ferris says, lifting his head from my shoulder. "We have the whole summer together. That's a good thing, right? We can spend these last few moments together and when I have to leave..." Ferris takes a breath. "When I have to leave, it'll be with good memories."

I press our foreheads together, closing my eyes.

"I don't want you to go." I whisper, my breath hitting his lips.

"I know, baby. I know."

We stay in this position before I lean back, licking my lips. My palms cup his cheek and I smile slightly, forcing my heart and mind to stay intact.

"The whole summer?" He nods his head. "We might as well start now. Did you bring your car?" He nods his head again. "Good. Let's skip class today."