Chapter 45

"What were you and Tyler talking about? At college?"

"I was just apologising to him for hitting him." Ferris says from underneath me.

I'm laying on his chest, drawing circles with my thumb on his shoulder. Ferris had his arm around my waist, his fingers slightly under my shirt. He strokes my skin, sending waves of heat through my body.

"Hmm. Did he forgive you?"

Ferris chuckles, planting a kiss on the top of my head. "We didn't get to that part of our conversation because someone interrupted us."

I lean up, grinning down at him. "Oh, I'm so sorry." My voice comes out sarcastic and teased. I straddle his waist, dragging my palm down his chest. We're currently at Ferris's house while his parents are out of town. "Is there any way I can make it up to you?"

Ferris grins up at me, his hands cupping my waist. "I can think of a few ways." There's a silence before he speaks again. "You and Tyler... was that anything more than friendship?"

I blink. "No... it's platonic. I do think he used to like me a bit more than that-" Ferris stiffens from underneath me. "-but I never reciprocated it."

"And now?" He reaches out, taking the drawstrings of my joggers into his fingers, pulling them so the waistband squeezes my hips. "Does he still like you?"

"I don't think so. He knows about us, so... I'm pretty sure he's over me. To be fair, I haven't really spoken to him since-" Since he walked me home after the fight. Ferris doesn't know about that. Will he get jealous? It's happened in the past.

Ferris leans up, slightly. "Since when?" I look down at him, the look in his eyes shows me that he sensed my hesitation.

"Since he walked me home after the fight." Ferris slowly lowers himself onto his bed, placing his hands under his head.

"Oh... he walked you home?" Ferris nods his head multiple times. "That was nice of him." He mumbles, looking away slightly before meeting my eyes once more. "I'm sorry for what happened that night. I ruined your birthday."

"You've already apologised." I laugh, moving to sit between his open legs. "Besides, it feels like years ago."

Ferris nods his head, sitting up. His legs wrap around my waist, and I caged into him. He blinks a few times before raising his hand, messing with the hood of my tank top.

"Have I ever told how much I liked this outfit?" He asks, his eyes never leaving my body.

"A couple of times." I chuckle, interlocking my fingers with his. "But you should tell me a couple more times so that I don't forget."

Ferris grins at me. "Yeah?" Then, he tickles me.

I squeal, falling back onto the bed, my body jerking every time he touched me. "Stop... it! I'm gonna... piss... myself!"

Ferris falls on top of me, his arms wrapping around my waist, lifting me up. Then, he climbs off the bed with me in his arms. I fling my arms around his neck, clinging to him. He walks out of his room and down the stairs.

It's moments like these that make me want to trap him into a glass bottle and keep him forever. It's moments like these that make me want to cry my heart out because it's not going to last forever.

Ferris is the beach, but I'm a lone island. Too far. He'll be too far. I don't think I'll be able to survive if he's not here for me. I've forced my heart to believe that it will all be okay, because we aren't breaking up. However, I'm frightened that a long distance relationship will eventually lead to us both being resented by each other.

Right now, as he carries my into the kitchen and places me onto the counter, I can't help but wonder what will happen in a few months when I have to watch him take a train to the airport. I have to watch him fly away, taking my heart with him. He's my hope. My dream. I can't lose him.

"Kay? Are you listening?" My focus is brought back to reality, where Ferris stands opposite me, his phone in his hand.

"What? Sorry."

"My parents are back in a few hours. They're asking if you want to stay for dinner." He waves his phone slightly, but I'm not thinking about anything except what he just asked me.

Meet his parents? Are we already at that stage?

"What? I can't meet your parents wearing this!" I gesture to my half-covered body and point Ferris with a panicked look. "They'll think I'm a slob."

"What?" Ferris raises his eyebrow, shoving his phone into his pocket and taking a step towards me. "You look sexy."

"I'd rather not look sexy in front of your parents, Ferris. I'd like to look presentable."

"They wont care what you wear, honey. Seriously, they care more about your personality. If you really want to, I'll take you home so you can change."

I hesitate. I haven't been home a lot because of dad. We haven't talked since he beat up Ferris and I'd like to keep it that way, I know that, eventually I'll have to speak to him. What better time than now, right?

"Let's do that. I could also use the time to speak to my dad."

Ferris stiffens. "If you're going to talk to your dad, I'm gonna be there with you."

I shake my head, reassuring him that I'll be okay. "No, it's better if you stay in the car. If he sees you, it'll make him angry."

"Kaylee-"

"Ferris."

He sighs and runs his palms over his face. Standing in between my legs, he drops his head onto my shoulder, pressing his palms into the counter besides my thighs.

"I don't want him to hurt you." He whispers, lightly brushing his lips over my collarbone. "Won't be able to live with myself if I sit back and let him put his hands on you."

I sigh and lift my hands to his face, cupping his cheeks. My thumb subconsciously draws circles, making him close his eyes slowly.

"I'll be fine. If anything happens, I'll call you. You'll be in the car anyways, not very far." I say, planting a small kiss to his forehead. "Yeah?"

Ferris nods his head hesitantly, before moving back. He smiles before turning around, bending slightly. I jump onto his back and his arms wrap around my thigh. He gives me a piggyback all the way to his car.