Chapter 28

Tyler's head jerks back from the impact of Ferris' hit.

'Ferris!' I scream, jumping backwards from the shock.

Ferris' fist collides with Tyler's jaw again and he crashes to the floor, pinned down by Ferris' body.

'Ferris, please stop, you're hurting him!' I scream, attracting attention to the people who were enjoying the party.

Some people take their phones out and start recording the debacle taking place in front of me, some of the stupid boys cheering Ferris on when he takes another jab at Tyler's face and none of them actually helping me fix this situation.

'Help!' I scream, trying to pull Ferris off of Tyler.

As soon as I touch Ferris' arm, he pulls back, sending me hurtling across the floor. My head crashes against the side of the bed, pain shooting through my whole body. I shout out in agony, causing heads to turn my way. Ferris' head spins around just as he is lifted from the ground by Christina's father, whose cheeks are a darkening shade of red. I stumble to my feet as Ferris tries to come closer to me, his arms in place by the man standing at his side.

'Kaylee...'

I watch as Tyler struggles to get to his feet, his face bruised and bloody. My eyes are burning from the tears that I didn't even know were setting around my pupils.

Tyler storms out of the room after giving me one final look and I try not focus on his damaged face.

Ferris' eyes are full of guilt and culpability as I scoff at him and walk past all the useless onlookers of this lame party.

'Kaylee!' I hear behind me. I know that Ferris is struggling to get free and run after me and justify what he did. But almost all the alcohol is out of my system and I can see straight through the lies. Tyler was right. I couldn't see through his act and today's... events have proven that Ferris is a short- tempered, piece of shit who uses everyone and everything to get what he wants. And I'm not falling for it again. At the doorway, I see Tyler in the driveway, wiping away the blood stains.

'Tyler, I'm so sorry.' I blurt out as I approach him.

'It's not your fault,' He croaks, taking a small step towards me.

Instinctively, I wrap my arms around his shoulders, bringing him closer to me. Tyler's body stiffens as I comfort him and then relaxes into my arms.

'I shouldn't have come.' He whispers into shoulder just as the inside of the house quietens, the music abruptly shutting off.

'No, I liked that you came.' I whisper back. 'Well, not that you got hurt but that you came.'

Tyler's body stiffens again and confusion curses through me. Did I say something?

I slowly let go of Tyler to see that he is staring into space. Or is it... I quickly turn around just in time to see Ferris storm past us and through the gates. Just before he leaves the property, he slowly turns around and looks me dead in the eye.

'If I knew that beating him up would make you want him instead of me, I would have done it sooner.' And with that, he turns on the heel of his boots and walks away.

A thrust of agony channels through me, cutting into what was already injured. My heart. A stifled sob curses through me as Tyler comforts me once again. Bringing his arms around my waist, I cry into his chest. It's his soothing voice that brings me to a 'normal' state.

***

When I reach my driveway, I give Tyler a small smile and let go of his hand that I had held on to for comfort. Tyler's lips press against my forehead as I lean into him. His hands find my shoulder as he holds me in place. A small smile hangs on his lips as he looks at me.