Chapter 4

We didn't talk for the entire lesson. The awkwardness was escalating. I didn't know what was wrong. Did he lose interest in me? Did his girlfriend forbid him from talking to other girls? Ashley didn't seem like the jealous type. So what the hell was wrong? As I walked out of the classroom, I could see the top of Tyler's head walking towards the white double doors at the end of the corridor. I decide to leave him be, maybe he needs some time.

As I walk out of the school building, I see Sophia walk towards the canteen. Her dress was flowing in the wind as she tried to cover her body with her hands. She was walking with someone. It was Christina. Christina? Popular Christina? Hanging out with the new girl? Something didn't make sense. I ran to catch up with them, my skirt flying up in the wind.

"Sophia!" I shouted over the hustles of the wind. She didn't hear me. But Christina did. She turned to look, smiling at me as she did so. I've always had a soft spot for Christina. She wasn't like other popular girls, all bitchy and rude. Christina was nicer. Different.

I ran towards them and caught up in less that five seconds.

"Hey guys." I squeaked..

Sophia turned around and smiled at the sight of me.

"Hey Kaylee." She shouted over the wind, still draping her arms around her body.

"You wanna get food?"

"Sure." We all walked together to the canteen, huddling ourselves to keep warm. I was still unsure as to why Christina was here so I asked,

"Hey Christina, how did you guys become friends?"

Christina looked at me and smiled.

"We sat next to each other in Psychology and we hit it off, didn't we Soph?"

Christina glanced at Sophia and she answered. But I didn't hear the answer. Soph? Nicknames? On the first day back? What? No one has a nickname for me... I looked at Christina as we subdued into silence for the rest of the walk. And then we were at the canteen. I sat with Sophia and Christina in the middle of the canteen, getting my lunch box out of my bag. I was the only person who brought food from home. Everyone else bought food from the canteen. I opened my box and took out my sandwich. I was an egg sandwich... my favourite. Mmm. I took an amusing bite and closed my eyes. I don't know anyone who loves an egg sandwich as much as me. I opened my eyes to be greeted by the disgusted looks on Christina and Sophia's face.

"What?" I mumbled, spraying some bread crumbs onto the table.

"You are disgusting." Sophia declared before we all burst out laughing , parts of my sandwich spraying onto the table. Thank god no-one saw.

I looked around the canteen, taking in the new dyed hair everyone had and the new style of clothing. My eyes set on Ferris who was sitting on the corner of the canteen, surrounded by a group of boys. He wasn't really paying attention to them, he was too busy absorbed into the contents of his phone. That's when I realised. Christina was on her phone as well. Are they texting each other? My mind was racing, thinking about why Christina was grinning contentedly at her phone. I looked back at Ferris, his smoky, blue eyes smiling down at the light. How did he look so hot? So... mysteriously hot? All the boys around him were rowdy and troublesome but not Ferris. He was... distant.

"Kaylee? You're blushing." It was Christina, her eyes were set on my cheeks.

"Am I?" I asked, not even realising that I was gushing over Ferris.

"What are you looking at?" She wondered, still looking at me.

"Nothing." I lied. "It's really hot in here."

She couldn't know about Ferris, if she was messaging him, then I might have lost a friend I never knew I had.

I looked at Sophia. She was really quiet.

"What's up?" I asked her, genuinely curious.

"Nothing... I was just thinking about... everything."

"Everything?" This was Christina talking.

"Yeah, just... starting a new school and making new friends and..."

I smiled at that last part. Making new friends. Me and Sophia were officially friends. Like, proper, actual friends. OMG. I made a friend. I. Made. A. Friend.

Christina looked at me, her eyes still searching mine, like she was looking for something... But what? What was she looking for? I wish I knew.

As I walked out of the canteen, ready to go to my next lesson, I could smell the lavish perfume of Christina trailing behind me. Her arms draped over my shoulder and her cheek was against my cheek. I felt her warm breath against my ear, sensing comfort in a time of dejection.

"What's up?" I asked her, wondering why she was clinging to me.

"I was just wondering, you seem like you have a lot of practise with boys."

I snorted.

"Well-"

"If I want to be with a boy, would I let him make the first move?"

I caught my breath. She was talking about Ferris. What do I do? Do I help her get with the guy I liked? Or do I reject her plea for help? Oh no.

"Er, I'm not really an expert. You're gonna have to ask someone else." I answered, still awestruck by the whole situation.

"Oh." She mumbled, removing her hand from my shoulder. I smiled at her, feeling guilty for not giving her boy advice. Why do I have to be so selfish?

"Who is the guy anyways?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

I saw Christina gush and slope down into fangirl mode.

"Well... it's this boy from our year..."

"Yeah..." I responded, my hands shaking.

"Oh damn it, it's Ferris."

My heart dropped. Everything went blurry. Jealousy struck me like lightning. But I still forced a smile.

"I'm happy for you." I muttered.

But in reality, I wasn't.