Chapter 33

It has been a week and Sophia hasn't shown up to college. Me and Christina think that she is ill but when we try to contact her she doesn't pick up. Because neither of us knows where she lives, we can't visit her to see if she's alright. I try to reassure Christina that everything is okay but I don't know what to think anymore.

Maybe she's ill, or she's gone on a trip. But wouldn't she call us and tell us? Wouldn't she at least message us and reassure us that she's alright?

I tried not to think about it so much, especially at college when people would ask me if she was okay. She was alright. She had to be.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard the doorbell ring. It was nine at night and the sun was already setting. Dad had fallen asleep because he drank too much and I'm hesitant on which of Lewis' friend's house he had gone to.

I dragged myself off of the sofa and went to open the door. Ferris stood there, his hand stuffed in his pockets. A black hoodie coated his body and he wore his hood low.

"Hey, what are you doing here?"

We hadn't seen a lot of each other in the past week, especially since I was loaded with homework and exams.

"I wanna take you somewhere." He put his hand out for me but I just looked at him quizzically.

Slowly, he retreats his hand and looks up at me.

"Can I put a coat on first?" I ask, reaching for the coat hanger and grabbing my coat.

"... Yeah." He says and takes a step back as I walk out of my house, putting on my coat over my tank top and sweats in the process. Hesitantly, I take his hand and tangle my fingers with his.

"Where are we going?" I ask, walking down my driveway.

"It's a surprise, but it's better at night." He smiles at me, edging closer to me.

I cleared my throat, hugging his arm and slowly placing my head on his shoulder. I felt him tense next to me before he softened and carried on walking.

"It's not... It's not an amazing place. Somewhere you've been before, I just wanted to show you how beautiful it is at night."

I stayed silent, not wanting to disturb the peace I felt when there was no one that I wanted to run or hide from next to me. Only me. And him.

After a couple of minutes of silence, we reached the park, walking onto the field.

"Look up." I hear Ferris whisper, his hand reaching out and tilting my chin up.

My eyes scanned the sky, taking in the stars and the silent night. A small gasp leaves my throat when I see what he was gesturing at.

He slowly leads me to the ground, laying me down before laying next to me.

"You took me to see the stars?" I whisper, laughing a little. A tingle runs up my arms as he reaches for my hands, tangling his fingers with mine.

"Don't you like it? The... peace?" He asks, his breath hitching.

"I do." I answered him.

"It's amazing. The peace and quiet when there's no one nagging in your ear and no one telling you how to live your life."

I look at him, nuzzling my cheek into his shoulder. He carried on talking.

"Have you ever wanted to just... forget about everything? When it's just you in the world and there's no one to disrupt you. Night sky's show you the beauty of darkness. I've loved the stars too much to be scared on that darkness."

"Where did all this come from?" I turn to face him. "I didn't know that you were one for sentiment."

A small smile plasters his mouth.

"I'm a lot more interesting than I look, Jones." He takes a strand of my caramel hair into his hand, twirling it around his finger.

"Ferris Carson, you really are a mystery." I smile.

"You know... My name isn't actually Ferris." My body jerks back, looking at him with curiosity.

"What?"

"It's a nickname. When we were younger, you could never pronounce my name, so you called me Ferris. It kinda just stuck so I legally changed it."

"What?" I stared at him. "It was my nickname for you?"

"Yeah. You remember when we used to play together as kids, right?" He asks, bringing me closer to him.

"Of course I do." I smile, stroking his cheek. "We used to be great friends."

"Before you went to a different high school." He says, his eyes glistening in the dark.
"And then we found each other again in college." I laugh and plant a small kiss on his lips. I look at him. "What is your real name?"

"That's for another day." He whispers before leaning in and kissing me again. It lingered for a couple of seconds before he pulled away.

I pulled him back towards me, grinning as I smother him with kisses.

A small gasp leaves my mouth as he kisses my neck before pulling back and holding me in his arms.