Chapter 36

I pulled my truck into my driveway and stared at the dark house that was filled with so many memories and nightmares.

I turned off the truck and sat in front of the house with my heart heavy. I gripped the steering wheel and stared at the house for a couple of minutes before I sighed and opened the door.

"Well, well, well," a snide voice said from behind me, and I closed my eyes and mentally groaned. "Where have you been? Did you really think your lack of presence would not have been noticed?"

"What do you want, Mindy?" I asked with a tired sigh, not wanting to deal with her.

"I want you to admit that you are the Viper," she said. "I know that you are."

"How?" I asked. "How am I the Viper?"

"Because you were gone, and the Viper showed up," she said in a "duh" tone.

I furrowed my brows and cocked my head, studying her. "So the Viper came onto packgrounds while I was gone. Is that what you are saying?"

Mindy shifted on her feet, and she could tell that she was busted. She wasn't going to get anything out of me. "Well... no..."

I raised an eyebrow. "Ok, then what are you saying?" I asked. "How can I be the Viper?"

"I just know that you are," she defended herself, and I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "I saw you with my own two eyes."

I sighed and shook my head, and my head started to pound as if someone had taken a hammer to it. "I don't have time for this," I said. "Nor do I have the energy to play any games with you."

"So you are the Viper," she said. "I knew it."

"No, I am not," I replied. I turned away from her and grabbed my jean jacket before I closed my truck door and locked it. "I am not the Viper. You are just pulling at strings right now, and I am too tired to play your games." I pulled my jacket on, ready to leave this conversation.

"If you aren't the Viper, then why weren't you at your house?" Mindy asked. She folded her arms across her chest and stared at me, blocking my escape. "Why are you in front of this shit house anyway?"

I snorted and gestured to the dark house. "This is my house," I stated as a matter of fact. "It was my childhood home, but after shit happened, it is now mine. I live with my grandmother for the sole purpose of wanting to." I turned to look at the house, my ears straining to hear the sound of the past but not able to pick up any sound. "But my life started here," I said, my voice becoming soft, "in this "shit house.""

Mindy snapped her fingers, and I sighed and turned to look at her. She had a shocked look on her face, and I held back an eye roll. "Oh right, I forgot, you are an orphan," she said as if that was going to hurt my feelings. "Tell me, how does it feel?"

I shrugged. "How does it feel to be unloved by your parents?" I asked, and she gasped in distaste. "Or are you an orphan, too?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. "Ya... it doesn't feel that well, doesn't it?" I asked.

Mindy scowled and stomped her foot. She looked at the house and then at me, and I could see her little mind spinning. "If you don't tell me that you are the Viper, then you can kiss your childhood home goodbye," she said.

"No can do," I replied. "I am not the Viper, but I can call her and prove it." I shrugged and stuffed my hands into my jean jacket pockets. "Also, there are ghosts around the house that will stir up trouble if you decide to open the front door or mess with the house in any way, shape, or form. These ghosts don't take kindly to strangers who mess with their possessions."

I took an aggressive step forward, and Mindy stepped aside to let me pass. I started to walk away, knowing full well that I was not going to go far. I knew that she was going to try and keep me there because she wanted me to break.

"There are no such things as ghosts," Mindy called to my retreating back, surprising me because I thought she would have grabbed my jean jacket. She didn't reach out to touch me, and I had a feeling that she didn't want to be near me in the dark.

"There is no such thing as Werewolves, but look at us," I called over my shoulder. "Do you really want to risk it?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. "If you aren't scared, then go to the door and break in. They'd be pleased with your presence."

"You're bluffing," she said, "like you are bluffing about you not being the Viper."

I paused and looked back at her. A small, dark smirk appeared on my face, and she took a deep breath and took a step back. "I am?" I asked, and the wind blew through the trees and my hair, making a whistling sound.

With the whistling sound came a screeching noise that sounded like a wild, caged animal trying to break free.

Mindy jumped and turned towards the sound. Her face grew pale, and I knew that she knew she would be in serious trouble if she stayed. Her whole body was tense, and she took a step back away from me and the house.

"You better run," I all but purred. "It seems to me that the ghost that haunts this place is about to come out."

And with that, Mindy turned on her heels and ran away.

I paused and watched her go before I sighed and shook my head tiredly. I turned to look at the house, noticing that it did seem scarier than normal, but it didn't scare me.

It didn't scare me because I was one of the ghosts that haunted this house, this land, and everything on it.