Chapter 37

I walked the rest of my way to my grandmother's house and only picked up speed when I heard yelling coming from the house. My whole body grew tense while I drew nearer, and my heart pounded hard in my chest.

Could those that have known about my grandmother's "activities" be at the house?

"Grams! Let me in!" the person at the front door yelled. Panic and sorrow filled their voice, and I could tell that it was Levi. "Where is Le- Alexandra?"

"She is not in, so you aren't coming in!" my grandmother said, which was strange because my grandmother always let others wait in the house to wait for me.

"Bu-"

"I am right here," I said, interrupting him and slowing down my pace until I was only walking to my door. I blinked unimpressed when he turned around quickly and became relaxed, seeing me unscathed.

"Al-"

"What do you want?" I asked, interrupting him. I set my jaw and stood taller while I ignored the flinch that he tried to hide.

Levi sighed and moved a hand through his hair. "I want to apologize," he said, honestly. "I shouldn't have said that..." He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet. "I should not have said that, especially when... I knew it wasn't true."

I folded my arms across my chest and raised an eyebrow. "Then why did you say it?" I asked, my voice harsher than it should have been. "Levi's been through a lot of shit with me, some good and some bad. He's my best friend, my Alpha. That stung more than I want you to know."

Levi nodded, schooling his features until he hid the cringe. He cleared his throat and licked his lips, and I had to keep myself from looking at them. "I know," he said. "It's just... seeing you with that... boy..." He growled and shook his head, and I had a feeling he was trying to get that memory out of his head.

"Who were you with?" my "grandmother" inquired, and I looked at her and scowled. She smiled that grandmotherly smile only grandmothers could have, but for a second, it turned into an "evil" smile that meant, "I know something that you don't know," before it turned back into her "normal" smile.

I had to make sure that I kept my features schooled because I could feel him watching me. All I wanted to do was scowl, but I knew it would ruin their and my grandmother's plan.

My "grandmother" raised an eyebrow when I didn't answer off the bat. "Well?" she asked, and I had a feeling that they were having fun with this because they knew that I couldn't oust them in front of Levi. "Who were you with?"

"Filip," I said, and she nodded while she pursed her lips in disgust. I rolled my eyes and scowled. "Don't give me that look, Grams," I said. "Filip is not going to hurt me in any shape or form."

"That is what you think," she said. "Why were you with him?"

"Because he wanted to take me out on a "date," and if I didn't meet him, then he would have kidnapped me, again."

Levi cleared his throat, and we looked at him. He had his head cocked with furrowed brows, and I could tell that he was confused. "Didn't meet him?" he asked. "You were in his truck. How is that meeting him?"

"We have a meet up spot," I replied. "I parked my truck there, and then we went off together."

Levi looked this way and that and groaned, not seeing my truck. "And where is your truck?" he asked and raised an eyebrow.

"At the old house," I replied, switching back to what I had called my "childhood" home whenever it was brought up in conversation. I shrugged. "Grams likes to keep the driveway open."

Levi's eyebrow went higher. "Why?" he asked.

"Because I can't move Bertha out of the garage if she parks her truck in front of the garage," my grandmother said. "Have you seen her t-"

"It was a late birthday present to me, Grams; he hasn't seen it yet," I said, interrupting her, "unless he has passed my childhood home." I flinched when she smacked me, their strength showing through, even though they weren't supposed to. I bit back a hiss of warning, not wanting to let Levi know that this wasn't my grandmother but someone I've worked with before. "Ow, Grams," I seethed and grabbed the spot where she smacked. "What was that for?"

"That was for interrupting me, Alexandra May," she said. She scowled, and I was mildly impressed because I knew that they were shitting their pants. "What did I tell you about that?"

"Not to do it," I grumbled and rubbed my arm, "but that didn't mean you had to hit me."

"Hmph," she said but didn't say another word.

I shook my head at my "grandmother" before I looked at Levi, who was watching us with a calculating gaze. "Well?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. "Was that it?"

He raised an eyebrow. "What was it?" he asked.

"You apologizing to me," I replied. "I'd rather not have to stand out here any longer, especially when I have schoolwork to do." I didn't mean for my voice to come out harsh, but it did, and I ignored Levi's flinch.

Levi schooled his features and cleared his throat. "Right," he said and cleared his throat again. He moved a hand through his hair and licked his lips. "Well... night," he said. "I hope that you get some sleep."

As if...

"She will," my "grandmother" said. She patted my arm lovingly, and I had to keep my face blank, or else I would have looked sick, sicker than I wanted to. "Come on, Dearie," she said. "Let's get you inside."

"All right," I said. I cleared my throat and shifted on my feet. "Night," I said, looking at Levi.

Levi nodded. "Good night," he said. He twisted on his feet and started to walk away with his shoulders hunched and head lowered.

"Hey, Alpha," I said, and Levi stopped and looked at me with guarded eyes. I didn't smile but nodded. "I forgive you," I said, and relief filled his eyes. I narrowed my eyes and scowled, and he raised an eyebrow in question. "But don't make that comment again," I warned. "I did what I could for him and did what I could as a member of his pack. Understood?"

Levi smiled and nodded. "Crystal."

And with, he turned around and walked away, but his footsteps were lighter than they had been previously.

"Come on, Al," my "grandmother" said and touched my elbow. "Let's go in and get you a nice cup of tea."

I didn't respond and let her gently pull me into the house and close the door behind us, blocking my view from my Alpha and my love.