Chapter 49

Levi squeezed my hand tighter as if he was afraid that I would let go and remove my hand from his grasp as soon as we felt those sparks. His eyes were wide, and I could tell that he felt them too, and they were just as strong to him as they were with me.

I didn't let go of his hand, even though I wanted to because I didn't want to feel those sparks any longer and be connected to him. A part of me knew that I could quickly get out of his grasp, but what was the point when he didn't seem to mind that I was the Viper, even though I hadn't answered all of his questions and knew that he would ask me them soon.

His hard blue eyes seemed to stare straight into my soul, and it took my breath away. His heart pounded hard in his chest, and mine picked up until it matched the pace of his heart, but unlike his heart, mine wasn't able to be heard because of the suit that I wore.

Horus didn't say a word while he stared at us with unseeing eyes that saw everything. His face was blank while he waited for us to move, but we didn't and stared at each other some more, searching for answers that the other supposedly had, but none of them made sense at the moment and didn't describe this feeling.

Levi cleared his throat and squeezed my hand, and my heart skipped a beat before it pounded harder in my chest and wanted to escape until it rested in his hands. He took a deep, shuddering breath while he looked at me, his eyes trying to search for the secrets that I held but never wanting to let out into the open until I was sure that I could trust him. "We should get that tea," he said, his voice barely above a whisper while he continued to search my face for something that I didn't know I had. "I think Horus is waiting for us to move."

Speechless, I nodded and bit the inside of my bottom lip, not knowing what to say or do. I squeezed his hand before I took my hand back and wretched it close to my chest, afraid that Levi would try to get my hand back into his grasp.

Addicting... that was what his touch was. Addicting, and I craved it and the feeling that it brought me because it was one of the best feelings in the world.

It was a feeling that I truly wanted but knew that I couldn't have until all of this shit was through.

Levi pressed his lips into a thin line and studied me, trying to find something, anything, that I kept hidden, but he couldn't find any answers from my blank face. Slowly, he let his hand fall to his side and gestured to the kitchen when I didn't move and only stared at him. "Ladies first," he said after he cleared his throat and waited for me to go through first.

I rolled my eyes and scowled but didn't say a word while I walked into the kitchen, keeping my hand close to my chest. I could feel the sparks going through my body and craved them again from his touch, but I wouldn't allow myself to feel them again until I was finished with Horus and whatever he wanted us to do.

Familiar scents filled my nose when I entered the kitchen, the traces of people that weren't there but had been lingering as well as one scent that I didn't recognize but could tell that would be important to me in the mere future.

I turned my gaze to look at Horus after he stepped in to ask him about the scents, but he cut me off with a wave of his hand.

"Now, now," he said dismissively, and I closed my mouth without saying a word, even though I didn't like it. "We can talk about that later and not right now. Sit, sit, sit and let's have some of that tea, yes?" He walked to the stove where a teapot sat and gestured for us to go sit.

I scowled and narrowed my eyes at him, silently wondering what the fuck my grandmother and Filip were hiding from me. Those were the two scents that I recognized and Bea's, but I knew Bea didn't know what they were up to.

Was this where my grandmother was when I got home? Did it have to do with the mark I had seen on Horus's hand?

"Uh... what?" Levi asked, and I had a feeling that he didn't smell the lingering scents of the people that were here before us. He looked between Horus and me with furrowed brows, waiting for one of us to elaborate so that he would be in the know, too.

"It's nothing," I said and sat at the table, and Levi instantly sat down beside me. "It was an observation, but it wasn't important."

Levi scowled and narrowed his eyes while he studied me. He didn't say a word, but I could tell that he didn't believe me.

However, he knew better than to push, so he decided to stay silent instead. He didn't want to be in the dark like this, but he knew that it was to protect him and the pack and that I would explain everything to him once we freed him from their control indefinitely.

He wanted to help us, but he had no idea how he could because of the people that were holding him hostage and using him against his will. He didn't know how to break the spell or go against its wishes so that he could help us.

"You'll find everything out in due time, Alpha," Horus said and finished pouring the tea into tea cups. "All you have to do is trust us because we will make sure that you stay safe and alive."

Levi didn't say a word but nodded. He pressed his lips into a thin line and watched Horus set the teapot down and then picked up the two cups.

The other male walked over to us and set the tea cups in front of us before he sat down on the other side of the table. "Now," he said and placed his hands on the table and stared at us with a small smile on his face, "please, do me a favor and drink."