Chapter 16

Levi cleared his throat and shifted in his seat. He looked conflicted as if he should yell at me for answering their call or just letting it go.

I took a deep breath and leaned back in my seat. "Go on and say what is on your mind," I said, and the male looked at me with a gaze I couldn't decipher. "I know that you want to."

He didn't reply but scowled instead. Finally, he moved a hand through his hair, and he sighed, looking exhausted, and I had a feeling that this was difficult on both of them. "I don't want you at the packhouse for the rest of today or at all tomorrow," he said, finally. He held his hand up, stopping me from talking. "I don't want to hurt you," he said, and I frowned.

I studied the male before me, trying to see if it was the controlled Levi or my Levi who didn't want to see me get hurt. I had no idea if it could have been both that didn't want me to be hurt, and I hated not knowing.

"Please, Lexi," he said, and I stiffened at the sound of my nickname coming from his lips.

"Alexandra," I said coldly. I shifted in my seat and narrowed my eyes at him with pursed lips. "You are not permitted to call me "Lexi.""

Levi flinched back at my tone and what I had said, leaving me surprised and confused. A look of hurt flashed through his eyes before they hardened. "Fine, Alexandra," he said coldly. "I do not want to see your face at the pack for the rest of today or tomorrow."

I set my jaw and nodded my head. I was glad that I had all the "important" information at my grandmother's house because I had moved it once Levi was back. I hadn't trusted this part of him, and a part of me now understood why. They had him in their grasps, and they could use him against me. "Of course, Alpha," I said. I stood and started to collect my things and making sure that my computer was logged off, shut off, and "protected" if they tried to do something with that and my work phone, making sure that no one could get to my phone calls.

"Seriously?" Levi asked, raising an eyebrow. A look of annoyance flashed across his face, and I had a feeling it was because I had made sure he couldn't get any important information from me.

"We don't want you bugging me, do we, Alpha?" I asked, looking at him as I zipped up my bag that contained my books for school. "I mean, it is my duty as Beta to protect the pack."

Levi scowled and narrowed his eyes at me. "I highly doubt that you will be able to protect your stuff from them."

I bit back a smirk, making sure that I had everything. "Are you sure?" I asked, looking at him again and raising an eyebrow. "Do you know what I have been trained in? I know that I haven't told him everything."

Levi folded his arms across his chest and scowled. "And why not?" he asked, his voice dark.

"Didn't need to," I replied. I placed my backpack on my back and studied him, making sure that I appeared calm, even though I was a little nervous about being in the room with him. "And, I am not going to tell him or to you."

Levi didn't reply as he studied me. "Are you afraid that they will know?" he asked, finally, his voice soft. His gaze softened, and a look of understanding flashed through his eyes before his face became hard again.

"Aren't you supposed to be reporting whatever you hear back to them?" I shot back, and he flinched at my tone. "It's not that I am afraid that they will know. I know that they will know because you have to tell them." I raised my hand, stopping him from talking. "The less they know, the better."

"They have ways of getting information out of people," Levi said, coldly. He grimaced and shifted in his seat, and for some reason, I could tell that he was in pain. "They can get information out of you even if you don't want them to. Trust me."

I cocked my head and stared at him with a guarded expression. "Can they?" I asked, and he nodded his head. "Hmmm." I walked past him and to where my broken phone laid in front of the dented wall. I picked up all the pieces before turning to look at the male before me. "I'd like to see them try."

And with that, I turned around and walked out of my office, leaving a stunned Alpha behind.

I did want to see what they would do to get information out of me, even if they could get anything out of me. I have had multiple people try, and they had failed.

I wasn't like most Werewolves. Hell, even I knew that. I had no idea what I was, but I knew that it was different because it was the one reason why my parents had been killed when I was a young girl and why I had almost been killed.

However, someone had stopped it because they watched me while I grew up and became part of the King's Guards. And, I only left there when Levi had needed me the most because someone had killed his parents. I had stayed there at the pack and felt that same feeling of someone watching me even after my mate had been killed and had to go back to the training to make sure that I didn't harm myself.

And, as I walked out of the packhouse, this feeling of being watched by the same person came over me. As always, I didn't feel tense or anxious. No, I felt... grateful that they were there because I knew that they would protect me and hopefully protect the pack that I was now in control of until I was able to break the curse that held my Levi captive.