Chapter 69

The Puppetmaster growled in warning, and I had a feeling that he narrowed his eyes and scowled. He didn't say a word, and I bit back a small smirk while I leaned back in my seat.

"Awww, are you mad?" I asked while I raised an eyebrow in question and sneered, enjoying the fact that I was making him mad, and he growled in warning again, and I had a feeling that he bared his teeth and narrowed his eyes further.

I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat, biting back a small chuckle before I grew serious and leaned forward in my seat. "So, are you going to tell me what's going on, or do I have to hang up the phone again because you are wasting my time?"

The Puppetmaster growled again before he cleared his throat to hold back another growl, and I bit back a small smirk. "Well, I wanted to have another meeting with you this morning, my Dear," he said, trying, but failing to act nice, "especially now that you have been awake for more than an hour."

"Hmmmm." I smirked and tapped my finger against my armrest while I looked at my computer screen and got some more work done. "Tempting, but unfortunately that will have to be a no," I said and sent Salem a text telling them that they were wanting to meet and to get ready to leave if I needed them to play as either myself or as the Viper or even both because I had no idea which way I would have to go.

Salem sent me a thumbs up text emoji and then that stupid purple emoji that looked like an imp with horns, smiling, and I held back an eye roll while I scowled, unamused and sent him an unamused emoji back.

"Is it because you are busy?" the Puppetmaster asked, and I had a feeling that he raised an eyebrow in question.

"Well, why yes," I said, and nodded in confirmation. "I am busy. Thank you for noticing that, my dear Sir," I said with a small purr in my voice. "It doesn't help that I had been rudely interrupted when it wasn't needed or wanted."

There was a pause on the other end of the phone, and I had a feeling that he narrowed his eyes and scowled, biting back a small growl. "Is it because you are Alexandra?" he asked, and I scoffed a laugh and rolled my eyes, scowling.

"Oh, please," I said with a sneer in my voice, biting back another scoff. "I am not her. I do not know why you think that I am her when I am not, PuppetMaster. She has standards, and I have none."

"Explain," he said, baring his teeth and narrowing his eyes in warning, and my smirk grew deeper. "Are you saying that she is too good for me?"

I scoffed another laugh and rolled my eyes before I pressed my lips into a thin line and narrowed my eyes. "Oh, please," I said and leaned back in my seat, starting to get some more work done with one hand while I kept the other hand on my phone. "It is because her father doesn't let her meet someone like you, especially if they find out information about you that they didn't like."

"Well, it's a good thing that Miss DeLamont's father is dead. Isn't it?"

I bit back a small chuckle and leaned further back in my seat, subconsciously grabbing my phone tighter. "Ah, but she has a new father, doesn't she?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in question. "She might not have a father related to her by blood, but she does have someone else who considers her as being their daughter."

"And how do you know?" the Puppetmaster asked, raising an eyebrow in question, and I bit back a small snort while I rolled my eyes and smirked.

"Gee, I wonder why," I said sarcastically before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat again. "I believe it is because I have worked closely with the king and the groups that he uses to protect himself and make sure that everyone is following the rules that he set up to protect everyone."

I bit back a small smirk and tapped some more on my computer to pull up other work. "And, yes, I have made him pay me, as well."

The Puppetmaster growled and narrowed his eyes while he pursed his lips in annoyance, and I grinned, amused. "And how much do you charge him for your services?" he asked darkly, and I had a feeling that he raised an eyebrow in question.

"Mmmm, an arm and a leg," I said and shrugged while I grimaced, biting back another smirk. "Sometimes, it's two legs and an arm, but that's nothing normal nor unusual."

The Puppetmaster paused and growled again. "And how much are you charging me?" the Puppetmaser asked, and I had a feeling that he raised an eyebrow in question higher while he waited for my answer.

"Oh, I am charging you a lot more than I charge him, my good Sir, especially since you are keeping me up and want to meet when all I want to do is sleep and get ready for work this evening."

The Puppetmaster growled in warning and I bit back a small smirk, satisfied and happy that I was getting under his skin.

"Awww, come on now, Love," I said with a small purr in my voice, and I raised an eyebrow in question, biting back a small smirk. "Are you going to be this upset because I am going to charge you an arm and a leg because you are wanting to meet me while all I want to do is sleep?"

The Puppetmaster growled again, and I bit back a small snort and rolled my eyes while I pressed my lips into a thin line. He didn't say a word, and I had a feeling that he wanted to do something but didn't know what, especially since whatever he had tried to do beforehand didn't work.

"I wouldn't try anything if I were you," I warned before I tsked and shook my head, biting back a small disappointed sigh. "I don't know what you are thinking, but I do not think you should be thinking that way, my good Sir."

"And why not?" he asked, and I had a feeling that he raised an eyebrow in question, even though I was not able to see him. "Why should I not be thinking that way?"

I bit back a small chuckle and sneered, pursing my lips. "Because, Love," I said, making sure that my sneer was heard in my voice. "It could lead to your death, and I don't know about you, but I would rather live than die. Now, don't you think so, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?"

The Puppetmaster chuckled coldly. "That is wishful thinking on your part, my Dear girl," he said before he cleared his throat, and I could hear the sneer in his voice. "And that way of thinking will not work in your favor."

I bit back a small snort and rolled my eyes, not saying a word while I leaned back in my seat.

Oh, If only you knew...

If only you knew...