Chapter 11

I sat on the porch with Miguel by my side as we waited for Levi to hopefully appear. My legs were crossed, and I was fiddling with the end of my scarf as I watched the sunset.

"Do you think he had told them what had happened?" Miguel asked, watching the path. "I mean, he might have."

I sighed and shrugged my shoulder, glancing down the path to see if he would come. "I don't know," I replied. "I doubt it."

"Why not?" Miguel asked, and I shrugged. "Is it because he doesn't understand it or..?"

"I don't know," I snapped. I growled out in frustration and moved a hand through my hair. My head started to ache, and I knew it was because I hadn't gotten any sleep.

"When was the last time you had fallen asleep?" Miguel asked, noticing me rubbing my head. "Do I need to call Dima?"

I shook my head, no. "I don't know when the last time was," I said. I leaned my head on Miguel's shoulder and sighed, closing my eyes. "I don't want to take that medication again. It makes me feel all weird... inside."

Miguel laid his head on mine. "I know," he said. "And your grandmother's tea hasn't helped." He paused. "Have you told her?"

I shook my head. "I guess I should." I chewed on a loose piece of skin on my thumb. "What if he doesn't come?" I finally asked. "What if she doesn't allow him?"

"He'll find a way," Miguel said. "I mean, he has to." He frowned when I snorted and rolled my eyes. "No, I am serious, Lex. He might know that he had accidentally hurt you."

I bit back a snort and rolled my eyes. "It might not have been an accident to the controlled him," I replied bitterly, "but my Levi didn't like it. That was why he had tried to get him to stop."

"Why didn't you get him to stop?" he asked, looking at me. "You are a-"

"-highly trained fighter that can take care of herself. Yes, I know this, Miguel." I moved a hand through my hair and grimaced, shaking my head. "I don't know if they know what I am capable of, and I do not want them to know."

Miguel sighed and nodded his head. He took out his phone and pursed his lips when he saw the time. "I am going to have to go," he said with a soft sigh. "I have the next shift."

I nodded my head. "I'll be fine with you not here," I said, feeling him hesitate. "If you want to make sure that I am in bed asleep, then you can use the key. I think I'm just going to spend the night here."

Miguel nodded his head and stood. "Can you tell your grandmother that I might pop in?" he asked. "I do not want to get hit by a shovel again." He grimaced and rubbed his head, causing me to smirk and nod.

"I will," I confirmed. "Get going. You don't want to be late."

Miguel nodded his head. "Yes, Alpha," he said. He bowed his head before running off.

I took a deep breath and looked toward the path where Levi would take to get to me. "Oh, Levi," I whispered. I moved a hand through my hair. "Where are you?"

***

"Are you going to come in?" my grandmother asked, sitting down beside me. She grabbed my hand and clasped it. "It's getting late."

I shrugged my shoulder and opened my eyes. "I don't know," I said softly. I leaned my head on her shoulder and licked my lips. "I am trying to wait for Levi."

"I know," my grandmother said. She patted my hand. "It is almost ten. You need to get something to eat and get some sleep."

I sighed and nodded my head. "Hey, Grams?" I asked, and she squeezed my hand and hummed, telling me to continue. "I... um... I had been having trouble sleeping again."

My grandmother stayed silent for a minute and sighed. "Is it because of Levi coming back with that girl?" Disgust was evident in her voice, and I could tell that she didn't like her.

"I guess," I replied, moving a hand through my hair. I took a deep breath and sighed. "I don't want to take that medication again."

"I know," my grandmother said, patting my hand. "Have you been staying away from alcohol?" She gave me a smirk when I gave her a look. "Hey, I am just making sure. I am sure that the urge is strong."

I hesitated but nodded. It had been getting stronger, but I knew that I couldn't go back down that road again. I had made a promise to be strong for both the pack and Levi, and that meant not going back down that path.

"I will see if I can whip you up some tea," my grandmother said, patting my hand again. She looked at the path and sighed sadly. "I don't know if he will come tonight, Sweetheart," she said softly.

My throat clogged up, and I nodded my head. My heart broke, and I hated that I had no idea if he would be able to come or not. "Do you think he thinks that I hate him?" I asked, not looking at her.

"Well, he did squeeze you pretty hard," my grandmother said with a protective growl. "And, he might be fighting with himself about it." She paused. "I don't think that they would have wanted you to get injured, not yet," she said, talking about the people that were controlling him. "I think that they want you to become insane."

I let out a breathless chuckle. "I'm already insane, Grams. I don't think that they have to worry about that."

"Perhaps not," she replied. "But, they might have to." She patted my hand again and stood. "I will come out when your tea is ready, Dear. I expect you to get ready for bed before you drink it."

I nodded my head, still watching the path. "I will."

My grandmother kissed the top of my head and squeezed my shoulder. "I love you," she said.

"I love you, too."