Chapter 41

A few minutes after I had entered my room, I was dressed in my outfit that I got from my time as a King's Guard and was ready to leave again.

Making sure that the coast was clear, I opened the window of my room and slid out, my training with the King's Guard coming forth while I stuck to the wall near my window.

I closed my window when I was all the way through and made sure to lock it so that no one would know I was not in there, asleep like I had made it seem. Silently, I climbed down the outside wall of my house and peered into the front window to check on everything there.

Sure enough, Salen was sitting in my grandmother's chair, looking like my grandmother, knitting something that did not look like it could be used, and watching some stupid Soap Opera show that my grandmother would watch and enjoy.

However, if anyone with half a brain knew my grandmother, then they would know that my grandmother didn't knit like that and wouldn't make as many mistakes as Salem was making, and that could cause many red flags, which I hoped wouldn't get raised.

Oh, Salem, I thought while I rolled my eyes and scowled before I pressed my lips into a thin line. I hope you know what you are doing and have an excuse as to why the blanket looks the way it does because I know people would ask why my grandmother's knitting is that way and not perfect like always.

I pursed my lips and narrowed my eyes while I studied the knitting they were doing. You better not be using her good needles or messing up her design, or else she will have your hind.

I shook my head and bit back a sigh of annoyance, and pushed that out of my mind while I climbed back up the wall so that I could get to the roof and get to my house that way. I knew that it would be better if I were higher off the ground, especially since the people that were controlling Levi didn't want us on the ground or out after a certain time.

As soon as I reached the roof, I picked up my pace until I was running and jumped from my roof onto the next house with little to no effort on my part. I made sure that I didn't make any noise while I landed and continued on my path until I reached the tree line.

I stopped as soon as I reached the nearest tree and crouched lower to the roof, even though I knew that the Elitist wouldn't be able to see me, but I knew that if there were some King's Guards, then they would be able to see me and wonder what I was up to, and I did not want that.

As soon as the coast was clear, I took a deep breath, moved back a couple of paces back, and then I proceeded to run and jump into the tree nearer to the house, landing on a branch that was the thinnest and highest off the ground.

I wasn't worried about the branch breaking, for the suit was designed to help me appear lighter than I was so that I didn't fall to the ground and break something.

I didn't stay long in that tree and moved to the next one and the next one, following the path to my childhood home where I hoped some answers laid. I had no idea if that place would hold them, but I couldn't help but pray that it would.

It'd make my life easier, at least I hoped.

"Finding this out will kill you, Alex," Salem's words echoed in my mind while I continued on my trek to that house. "You aren't ready for this stuff, Alex. You have so much to learn before you can know."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes before I shoved their words of warning out of my mind. I had no idea what they meant and wondered if I could get killed if I continued down the path that I was taking.

Death didn't scare me. It never did, and it never would. The thought of death pushed me harder and harder to survive, and I was going to survive this, even if it meant losing the memory of something.

I landed in a tree near my house and shook my head to clear me from my thoughts. I had to be ready, to be prepared for whatever was to come my way. I had no intentions of dying, nor did I have the intention to lose the memories that I knew and received from this conquest.

I took a deep breath while I studied the house, listening to the sounds of the world before I took my first leap onto the roof of my house.

The rustling of the wind through the trees ceased while I watched the house, and the whole world seemed to grow still. Nothing stirred, not even a bird, while the world waited and watched, wondering what was going to happen next.

I took another deep breath before I let it out and jumped onto the roof of my house, landing with such grace that it didn't stir the stillness of the night.

Where to now? I silently wondered while I walked to the ledge of the roof. I looked this way and that before I knelt down and leaned over the edge until I was able to touch the wooden siding.

Still, everything was silent and waiting while I placed my other hand on the wall near my first hand and started to climb down the side of it to a window that I vaguely remembered as being the only one to my father's office.

I placed my hand on the window and waited until I was able to push it open without too much trouble. I didn't have to worry about a screen in the window because, for some reason, my parents didn't like the screens and took them out when they got this place.

I took a deep breath and let it out while I entered the room, climbing up the wall beside the window, and the world seemed to breathe again when I closed the window and locked it.

I twisted my body around until I was leaning against the wall and looked this way and that, making sure that there wasn't anything that would give my location to someone else. Slowly and carefully, I climbed down the wall until my feet touched the ground, and I looked around a room I hadn't stepped in for years and years on end, my heart aching and yearning for a past that was taken from me.

Mom, Dad? I said silently, not wanting to break the stillness of the house. My whole body was tense while I looked around the office, my breathing barely loud enough to break this silence. Where are you? Because I'm home.