Chapter 48

Levi looked at me with a blank stare on his face and his mouth wide open. He blinked and blinked again while he processed what I had confirmed.

I kept my face blank and looked bored. I made sure that he couldn't tell how nervous I was now that the truth was finally out, even though he had his suspicions of it the first time he laid eyes on me as her.

"Wh-What?" he asked finally and studied me to make sure that I wasn't lying to him.

I nodded in confirmation and pressed my lips into a thin line. "I am she," I confirmed. "I am the Viper."

"How? When?" he asked. "Why?"

I sighed and looked at Horus with wide eyes, praying that he would offer us some tea so that I didn't have to answer his questions.

"I am blind," Horus said while he smiled and shook his head. Amusement filled his eyes while he looked at me. "I can't see the look that you are giving me."

I rolled my eyes and scowled. I knew that he could see my look and knew exactly what it meant. I didn't know how he knew what I meant, but I knew that he knew.

"Alexandra," Levi said, and I cocked my head towards him while I kept staring at Horus. He didn't reach out to touch me, and for some reason, that left me feeling upset and alone. "Please."

I sighed and lowered my head. I didn't look at him, not wanting to see how he would react to my tale, and instead looked at my scuffed shoes. "I had to get into some place where I wasn't allowed to go," I said finally. I shrugged and kicked at the floor, earning a small tsk from Horus. "I had to follow someone somewhere, but I was under strict orders not to go."

"Then why did you go?" Levi asked.

"Because this fucker pissed me off," I replied bitterly. I pursed my lips and scowled while I glared at my shoes. "The fucker had one job to do, and yet he didn't want to do it."

"Why didn't he do it?"

I shrugged. "I want to say it was because he had me watching him. and I was only twelve at the time, so he thought he could get away without doing his job.

"He didn't realize that he was messing with one of the best damn trackers of the King's Guards, so when he didn't do his job, and we had to bring him back, I was the one to teach him to his "hideout."'

"And where was his hideout?" Levi asked, even though he knew.

"Friday Shots," I said and cleared my throat while I nodded to his unasked question and shocked look. "It became one of my watering holes after that."

"Why?" Levi asked, and I shrugged in response. He scowled and narrowed his eyes. "Alexandra," he warned.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes while I pursed my lips. "Don't, "Alexandra" me, Alpha," I scolded, and he scowled and narrowed his eyes at me. "Ir became one of my watering holes because that was where I could find information. Chase is someone that I unfortunately trust, and he knows how to keep secrets."

Horus cleared his throat, hiding back a chuckle. He gave me a pointed look, and I rolled my eyes and scowled because I knew what he was getting at.

"I scare the crap out of Chase," I said. "You already know that and knew that if I ever found a way to get information about you and your symbol, then I would find you."

Annoyance flickered through his eyes, and he nodded. He pressed his lips together and bit back a sigh. "Of course," he said, the annoyance in his voice apparent.

I shifted slightly and stared at him with a bit wider eyes than normal.

Could he be the reason why I had seen that mark in the first place?

Horus had his gaze on me, and his eyes grew wide when he caught my movement.

Shit. He knew.

Relief filled them, and he nodded before he cleared his throat before he grew serious again. "Well," he said and cleared his throat again. "Enough with the chit chat; let's get you two some tea."

"But I still have questions," Levi said and gestured to me. He looked at me before he looked at Horus and set his jaw, and I could tell that he wanted me to finish telling him about how I became the Viper and stuff like that.

"She still hasn't told me how she became the Viper, and there are more reasons why she became the Viper and not someone else. Also, what is her relationship with this... Chase? Is she seeing him? Does he like her? Who knows that she is the Viper? How long has she been the Viper? W-"

"All of your questions will be answered in due time, Alpha," Horus said, interrupting him. He raised his hand when Levi opened his mouth to reiterate his complaint, and Levi closed it without another word. "For now, I suggest you follow me to the kitchen so that we can give you and your lovely mate a cup of tea."

Levi pressed his lips into a thin line and looked at me. He didn't say a word while he gauged my reaction about me being called his mate when it wasn't he that I had been set up with but the male he shared a body with.

I kept my face expressionless and stared back at him. I didn't say a word while I looked at him, not knowing how he would react.

I also didn't know how he would react ever since he found out that I was the Viper and had "lied" to him when I told him that I wasn't.

Would he still want me even after all of that? Did he still want to be my mate?

Levi cleared his throat and held out his hand, a symbol of acceptance and hope. He didn't say a word to me, and I looked at his hand before I looked at him again.

Taking a deep, shuddering breath, I relented first and took a step towards him before I took his hand in mine because I wanted him just as much as he wanted me.

And in that instant, the small sparks we had been barely feeling turned into fireworks the moment our hands met, each one enclosed in the other with our grasps tight.