Watching from the sidelines ➵Harry Potter

The h/c haired girl sat at a corner of the Gryffindor common room, trying to complete her latest potions essay that had been set by Slughorn while the rest of the house celebrated their victory of the latest Quidditch match

The h/c haired girl sat at a corner of the Gryffindor common room, trying to complete her latest potions essay that had been set by Slughorn while the rest of the house celebrated their victory of the latest Quidditch match. She tried to cancel the noise out, drown it out of her years, but the people around her got noisier and noisier.

This atmosphere reminded her of a day that she wanted so desperately to forget. The day she had lost everything. Sighing, she picked her parchment and textbooks, and walked out of the common room, thanking the Fat lady behind her.

It was past curfew meaning she couldn't go to the library where she usually spent her time, her dorm mates would be too loud. Thinking about where she would go for the next few seconds, she walked to the astronomy tower. It had always been her sanctuary; she would come here whenever she needed to be clear her hear, to be alone. Besides, she practically lived there the whole of her fourth year when her parents had died at the godforsaken Quidditch World Cup. 

She remembered that day clearly. The match had ended and her parents and she were stargazing, happily, when it had started. There were loud screams and her parents asked her to run and hide and that's what she did. It was the last time she'd seen them, alive or dead.

Thinking of them, her loving parents, a tear slid down her cheek and one more. She sat there sadly, unknowing of the approaching figure behind her. 

"Are you crying?" said a voice that she recognized to belong to Harry James Potter.

She turned to look behind, only to be met with emerald green eyes looking down at her curiously. She wiped the tears immediately and asked," What are you doing here?"

"I believe I asked first, l/n," he replied.

She sighed and said, sniffing," No I wasn't. What gave you that idea?"

Knowing that she wasn't going to budge, he let the matter go and asked," Why aren't you celebrating with the rest of your friends?"

"I don't have any friends"

"What about Hermione?"

"She's not my friend either. We're just dormmates. Anyways, what are you doing here, Potter?"

"Nothing. I just needed to clear my head."

The girl nodded, wanted desperately for him to realize that the conversation was at its end and that she wanted him to leave. His being there really didn't help her feelings for him. She had had the biggest crush on him from their third year before all the girls decided that he was fascinating because he was the 'Chosen one'. 

Besides, she had sworn off dating from the moment her past relationship with Anthony Goldstein had ended so badly; he had gone out with her only for a dare to make her like him. And it had worked; she had liked him. So much, that she almost forgot about Harry Potter. 

But the moment Anthony broke up with her, saying that it was a dare and not to take it personally, she decided that she was never going to give dating or boys or girls another thought. Admittedly, she went against her word, seeing that Harry Potter was almost always on her mind. But she knew that that was just a crush, a crush that she would take to the grave and never act upon.