Just out of reach ➵George Weasley

In retrospect, maybe agreeing on a date with someone you'd known from mere hi's and hello's and stolen glances in the cafe wasn't the best idea

You swore you felt the spark when he finally decided to end both your sufferings by talking to you. He'd started with a corny pick-up line that you hated but found funny and after just a few minutes of talking, you'd planned out a date for the following Friday.

And here you were, all dressed up in clothes that made you feel confident and hair and face done to perfection with your roommate's help. You'd been here for the past two hours, your excited nerves were long gone, having been replaced by disappointment and anger.

Having had enough of the pitiful glances from the server, you got up, straightening your clothes and you walked out, apparating back home and by less than one minute, you'd missed George, who ran into the diner hastily.

He heaved heavily, asking the server, "Excuse- me, mate, did you by any chance see a girl, e/c eyes, h/c hair? We'd planned on meeting here but I lost track of time and-"

"Yeah, she just went home, I think. She waited an hour or so, it looked quite sad, honestly," the server said, throwing him a distasteful glance, having witnessed the pathetic sight himself.

George cursed to himself, sighing as he apparated himself back home.

✃- - - - - - - - - - -

Smiling, you took the package that Mrs Dell handed you, shuffling on your feet when she finally wrote your name down in her ledger. You'd been running errands for your boss all day and boy, were you tired.

You stepped out of Madam D's delivery services and more! pausing a bit to rest your aching feet when you watched a familiar red-head walk your way. You didn't let your eyes leave his figure, wondering if he was here to apologise and talk. Much to your dismay, he gave you a quick glance, recognition lighting his features for a second before he walked right past you.

So, it wasn't by mistake that he stood you up then. He just didn't like you.

You felt your face hot with anger and disappointment and maybe a dash of resentment at yourself for having such high hopes regarding an almost stranger who you barely knew. Composing yourself, you continued your list of tasks, feeling lighter as you completed each.

Meanwhile, George sat in their shop, waiting for Fred to return with the coffee he'd gone to get. Writing down all the material they'd require for the New Years firecracker display, he watched Fred finally walking inside with medium coffee cups in both hands and a bagel in his mouth. 

Taking his own cup, George took a sip as Fred took a seat, commenting airily as though he was speaking about the weather, "I passed by your girl just now-"

"My girl?" George questioned sharply.

"Yeah, the one you missed a date with?" He took another bite into his bagel.