25. Sunset and Carrots

(Not Edited)

The sky takes a beautiful coral pink tint as the sun is about to get drowned in the horizon. Submerged in what will be a navy ocean in just a few more minutes. Sunsets are sort of bittersweet. Beautiful, marking an end, but at the same time promising a brand new day or a peaceful dark night, ahead.

I never had enough time to appreciate things like these in my life. I always had been too busy to be a perfect daughter to my mom. And failing almost continuously at it. Aiming for the things that I never liked. 

But right now, sitting here on some beach in Spain, I don't feel regret or frustration thinking about my past. Rather, I feel delighted because whatever my life journey had been so far, it had led me here. Here, laying on a private beach area with wine in my hand and Chris right beside me.

I glance at him, his windswept black hair and dazzling sapphire eyes which seemed to have mixed a little more blue in them as he gazed at the darkening water in front of us. After so many roller coaster like moments in our extremely complicated relationship, finally, this man was mine. 

Truly and completely.

This trip to Spain was a complete spur of the moment. And much needed. I felt like Sam and my other employees just needed a break from me. And well, so did I.

So, when Chris had called me about this almost let's-runaway-trip. I, being completely unlike me, said yes.

The past one month seemed so perfect that it feels almost unreal. The way he manages my combustible temper, my extreme moodiness and my stick-up-the-ass behavior is just remarkable. To add, all these thoughts were told to me by my dear brother.

Caleb.

My mind, yet again, drifts back to my visit at the hospital when I bumped into him. He seemed a bit off, worried and almost on the verge of throwing up, as if he had seen a ghost lurking around in those corridors. I know he had lied to me about visiting an injured friend. But, I also know that asking him was not going to work. 

Caleb had never lied to me. And now, if he's doing, I knew him all too well for him to come up and accept it or tell me the truth. These past few months have been a bit shaky for our relationship. Caleb seemed as if he was drifting away in some sort of tornado. He is pushing me away, hiding things and lying. Things he never did. Never to me.

My brows probably gets creased because Chris turns to me, "What is it?", he asks.

I give him a small smile before answering, "Nothing."

He sighs, "You know this thing," he says pointing to him and I before continuing, "works when we tell each other stuff."

I couldn't help but smile.

Men like Chris, you don't find them just lurking around. They are truly hard to find. Sarcastic, smooth, a bit narcissistic but too tender towards the one they are infatuated with. They give space and companionship at the same time. 

I am one lucky woman.

"It's my brother.", I tell him.

"Caleb? What's up with him?", he asks.

"He is lying to me, hiding stuff. It's not like him we have been really close since forever but now with everything happening it's like he's almost trying to slip away somehow. He's doing his part of being the brother but just not letting me do the part of being the sister.", I tell him honestly.

"And why do you think it's happening?", He says.

"I really don't know. Worse and probably the most accurate case scenario is something my mom said." I tell him.