21. Kiss

AUTUMN, 2010

I throw my backpack on the passenger seat of my car, loosen my tie and give a triumphant grin to myself. I even put my sunglasses on and turned up the radio to an extent which later did make me to turn it back to a decent volume.

I can't believe I finally asked Max out.

No, scratch that I can't believe I asked Max out and he said yes.

I mean, surely we have been friends for almost three years. He's my best friend and yes I kind of like him as well but I know he's always quite intimidated with who I am or maybe of the surname I have. 

I have always felt his uncomfortable demeanor whenever he comes to my house or just how easy it is for me to access almost anything in this world. Max, as he always tells me, belongs to a middle class family which just consists of his single mom.

But he still said yes to me. And I can't help but recall, again and again as how bravely I had gone up to him, sat beside him in English and asked him out.

Well, I always sit beside him but today I just sat beside him and I turned to him and without the blink of an eye just asked him out.

Okay, maybe not in the blink of an eye. 

Actually, it was after I tripped while entering the class then getting all red as everyone giggled at me including Max. Oh, and then I bumped my leg on the desk and after all my pens fell down Max helped me pick them up. It was only after endless sweating and a few broken words I finally asked him.

"Will you go to the Gala my dad is hosting?"

He definitely was a bit taken aback by my utter confidence because he didn't say anything for what felt like an eon.

"Why?", he asked.

"Because I need a date. And you told you didn't have any plans on Saturday. It's okay, forget I asked. I'm stupid.", I know I'm not stupid. I just felt stupid. And embarrassed.

Max laughed.

"You're cute." he said, "And I'd love to go with you. How can I miss the chance of eating gourmet luxurious food, you rich people have."

I gave him a look.

"And of course, your amazing company, sort of." he pinched my cheek and I swatted his arm away.

As I drive my car, I still feel immense proud of myself. I just can't wait and tell Caleb and rub it in his face.

He always said I'd die alone. 

Well look who's got a date.

I park the car in front of my gate and the valet comes to take it from there. I don't usually feel this  excited but today I was just giddy. All I want to do is to just rush to my room and quickly do my homework and start getting ready for the gala. I had never in my life felt this need to look extremely beautiful but today I wanted to look my best. And I'd be lying is I say it isn't to impress Max.

Maybe, just maybe I can ask him out for real. Like I don't know, I mean, he can be my boyfriend. He's really smart and kind and one of the very few people who gets me and can deal with me. 

Even the thought made me smile and I acknowledge my crush for him whole heartedly.

 I enter the house and rush towards my room with a big smile on my face.

"Bianca, sweetheart, don't you wanna say hello to our guests," I hear my mom call out and thus, she very harshly pulls me out of my daze.

I really wanna finish my homework.