11. Big Plans

September, 2007

The buzzing of the students along with the screeching noises of chairs and desks being pulled out is echoing around the room and it's making me go crazy as I'm not able to concentrate on my book. Everyone is talking about something or someone and I realise that people need to get a life.

I can't understand how is Damien's new haircut or Marisa's new hair colour, better topics of discussion than my book which is about astrophysics.

I smoothen the pleats of my skirt and internally feel glad that my new high school is a private school with uniform. Uniforms are good, it saves so much time as I won't ever have to think what to wear. All that time can be easily utilised in revising some math formulae.

"What do you have for fourth period?", Miranda asks me.

Today's the first day of high school.

The first day.

I'm a freshman and Caleb is a Junior now. He gave me a whole detailed description of the school and also told me which all kids I must stay away from.

Miranda, on the other hand is the only girl I know since we were in the same elementary school, rest all the faces are new to me.

Miranda is a cheeky girl with red hair and green eyes, a pretty smile always dancing on her thin pink lips. She was bearable.

"I have math.", I tell her. I had memorised my time table a few minutes ago.

"Nice, I have math too.", she says as a middle aged man comes and stands in front of us. He has squared glasses on his face and his brown hair looks mousy.

"Good morning, students. Welcome to Heritage Private. I'm Mr. Gregory Harris, your homeroom teacher. I hope you are thrilled to start your journey in the most prestigious school of the state.", he says.

I perk up. I'm so ready to learn.

"Now, how about we begin by some introduction? Why don't you all tell me your names and your hobbies or what you want to achieve in your lives?", multiple groans are heard across the room including mine.

The teachers will know me anyway, when I get A in their subjects. What's the need for all this?

"I'm Diana Saunders. And I like to upload makeup tutorial videos on YouTube.", the death hour starts as the introductions begin.

"I'm Ben Davis and I want to become a football player."

A couple of more teenagers give out utterly boring and stereotypical introductions which were aiming to make me realise that I won't have much competition this year in academics until the next person begins to speak.

"I'm Max Hunter, I like to read books and I want to become an Investment Banker.", a not so manly voice says and I peek a look at the boy.

He's tall and has black framed glasses on. His black hair are neatly held back but in a cool way. He seems interesting to me.

Some more boring out of wit introductions were spoken until it was my turn.

I stand up and my book falls off my lap. I jump because of the sudden thump and bend to pick it up. By now every eye is staring at me. I clear my throat.

"Uh... I'm Bianca Winston. And I like the stars.", a few chuckles are heard and some kids threw a weird look at me.

I continued, "And that's because I want to be a scientist. A physicist, to be precise, at NASA."

And then I sit down. I see Max smiling lightly and then I resume reading my book. After this I completely zone out myself.

...