28. Family Game

"Open the door!"

"I said go away!"

"Bianca, come on open the door."

I hear him say again for the tenth time. I can't believe he found me and then had the audacity to show up.

"How are you even staying in this crap?", he asks with a bit of disgust in his voice.

I look around the dingy motel room and almost feel the nausea hit me.

"Listen, please open up and we can talk about it"

I roll my eyes, "There is absolutely nothing to talk about."

I hear a long dramatic sigh before he says, "Bianca, for this to work out, we do need to talk about stuff like this."

He's right.

I'm annoyed when he's right. I'm annoyed when anyone is right except for me.

I get up from the bed that smelled like thousand year mildew colony and open the door while being barefoot.

Chris looks at me with his beautiful green eyes. They look so tender and somehow darker in the shallow light of the motel. They were so inviting that for once I set my pride aside and hugged him.

Because I really need the hug and I really like hugging him. It's as if his body was made to hug me because we fit perfectly together.

"I won't say that it'd be fine because I know it's difficult.", he says as I feel his long fingers stroking my hair.

I had decided to not cry anymore but his touch gave me the liberty to shed a few more tears.

I have always known the feeling of falling apart and for once, it was nice to know that there is someone in my life who could pick up the pieces with me and then help me to put them back in place.

It feels safe.

"Come on, let's take you out of here.", he says and pulls me out of the dingy room and holds my hand to take me to his car.

On the way I see someone paying the motel's check and I understood Chris took care of it.

Thankfully, it was only him and I in the car and he drove me from the dilapidated area of the city to the part where people like Chris and I belong and honestly, I feel bad for people living here. I make a mental note to open up some employment places in the company wherever possible.

"Are you gonna tell me now?", Chris takes a brief glance at me before looking back at the road. He gently reaches out to me and clasps my palm in his.

I look at him and give him a sad look. It is painfully difficult for me to tell him everything that had happened in the course of past two days. But I muster up all the courage and tell him everything. How Caleb is not my brother but half brother. It sounded so wrong.

I tell him about my family keeping this a secret and how it rooted itself in our family's emotional dynamics and basically ruined lives and mental stability for both Caleb and I.

My voice breaks a bit in between and I mentally thank Chris to not look at me with pity but simply tighten his hold on my hand.

In this very dark moment I almost feel a bit light as I see myself looking at him and thinking how I was slowly and steadily falling in love with him.

It seems like a different moment all together. People always say how in a relationship there comes a moment when it suddenly hits you that you love the other person.

But for me, it feels as if I'm feeling every moment it's not coming to me as a big wave but as small ripples that touch your feet when you're standing at the edge of the ocean, gazing at the endless horizon.