17. Old Friends Have Babies And I'll Die Single

Of course I didn't go back to office after what happened. I needed sometime to clear my mind. I mean honestly, what just happened? I still can't believe that Christos Hatzis apologized to me. And the way he looked at me when he said that, his broken expression. It was all too much.

I know I'm being cruel but after what he said about me that day. After everything that happened. After he kissed me, and I gave myself to him, I can't simply forgive him. What I thought to be the most beautiful night of my life, degraded after what he did the next morning. I hated him for that.

He had always been rude to me. But these past few days, in fact when I think about it now, I realize that his behavior towards me had changed for some time now. It wasn't rude but kind of teasing. But not in a way which used to hurt me.

So, here I am, in my formals and walking in the Central Park. It's evening now and the sky is tinted in the most admirable shades of blue and orange. So different yet so compatible with each other.

As I stroll around I see lots of different sort of people. Teenagers, old couples, families and everyone seems so happy with their lives.

My life, one piece of messed up crap.

"Bianca, is that really you?" I hear a male voice call out to me from my right and I look up.

Surprise will be not an adequate to describe how I felt when I see him. The same black rimmed glasses and dark hair.

"Max! Oh wow its you," I smile at him and he comes forward to give me a hug.

I don't believe in coincidences nor in destiny but life has its cruel way of taking things from one point to another. Changing things and always making acceptance a hard thing to do. Jut hoe after so long I see the person I least expected to and that's Max.

Max, my best friend from high school.

Max, the biggest regret of my life.

"What are you doing here? Last time we talked you were in Seattle, right?" I ask him remembering the talk we had on Facebook a long time back.

"Yeah, but I got a new job. It's better paying and all and you know I-" he stopped midway when we hear a shrill and soft voice.

"Daddy," a little blonde girl who seems to be not more than four years old, wraps herself around Max's leg.

"Who's this lady?" she asks Max.

This day couldn't get any worse now. I don't understand, its been more than six years since I've seen Max but I still feel jealous. He's got a daughter and looking at her, a beautiful wife too.

I don't know if it's because he married someone or its because he has a beautiful family, but I feel pained. I probably earn ten folds than him but he looks happy. He looks satisfied.

"This is my daughter, Leila." Max says and then he calls over a very pretty woman, "And this is my beautiful wife, Sarah."

Sarah smiles at me warmly but there is some sort of hesitation in her. Maybe she knows all about me. And the way she warily shakes my hand and Max coughs awkwardly its pretty clear.

"Sarah and I met in college. We became best friends and then started dating," Max tells me.

My conscience is bitterly laughing. Just exactly how it happened in high school. How I and Max became best friends and then started dating.

Surely, it didn't last.

Thanks so much, mom.

I shake my head and snap out of my thoughts. I smile at the small family in front of me. And a small part of me wishes to have something of this sort soon.