24. Bad Byes

SPRING, 2011

"Are you sure that there won't be any problem?", Max asks me as he types something on my laptop.

We're currently sprawled on my bedroom's floor with books and papers all around us. We were working on a physics project we decided to present as a team.

Even though we have been dating for some time now, Max always felt weird being at my home because of my very beloved mother. 

"It's alright, Max. My mom knows about us anyways.", I say as I go through the half life equation again.

"Yeah she know but she doesn't like it," he says pressing the space bar and looking at me.

I close my book, "I know she's difficult but we have worked this out for so long. We can do this together."

"I don't know, Bi. It feels like she really hates me.", he says with a sigh.

"No, she just really dislikes you," I say.

"Ha ha, very funny.", he rolls his eyes.

I quickly peck him on his cheek before saying, "I really like you. So, does it balance it?"

"It's more than enough.", he says before holding my cheek in his hand.

We move forward to have a kiss when Max pushes me away and opens the book in front of him upside down.

"Bianca!", my mom calls opening the door of my room.

"Oh, you're here too.", mom says looking in Max's direction.

"Hello, Mrs Winston.", Max says awkwardly.

"You need to leave, right now.", she says to Max.

"Mom! What is wrong with you?"

Can you believe her? 

"Bianca, the Harpers are coming over for dinner. You need to get ready and be present as soon as possible.", my mother says a bit out of breath.

"Harpers, as in Gillian Harper, dad's new share holder?", I ask mom as I am suddenly reminded of what my dad had told me about the new share holders.

"Yes, Bianca. So, you need to get ready and he needs to go." my mom said indicating Max.

"Well then, Max can stay for some good dinner as well.", I tell my mom.

"Why do you like to disobey me so much?", mom sighs out in frustration.

"Surely, mom you can't just shoo him away. Maybe I can ask dad?", I ask mom. 

That's a card I like to play these days. Dad doesn't have any issues with Max at all. I feel like dad has issues with no one except for Caleb (something I would never understand). 

Dad kind of likes Max.

"Fine, just fix him a bit.", my mom says looking grudgingly looking at Max's green t-shirt.

"This is a new shirt.", Max says.

"Ignore her.", I say as I move forward and kiss him.

...

Both Max and I step down the stairs to the dining hall where the dinner is being set up and everyone is seated.

"Bianca, I heard until recently. Congratulations, on being the chosen heir.", Mr. Harper said.

I saw Caleb's finger tighten around his spoon as mom takes his other hand in hers. These moments had been quite frequent for some time now.