Triggers - Part 1

TRIGGER WARNINGS: PTSD, DOMESTIC ABUSE

Chapter's songs: For the Love of a Daughter - Demi Lovato
                                   If I'm Being Honest - Dodie

There wasn't a single person in town who wasn't talking about Stephan's sudden success in the scientific career. His parents were proud of him, his sister and friends congratulated him non-stop, strangers approached him out of nowhere and others whispered when he passed by.

Everywhere he walked by was followed by tons of eyes on his back.

He didn't feel safe.

He didn't feel relaxed.

He didn't feel like he could bear it even if not cooperating with any journalists, telling them that, but it didn't seem of much use once they ignored his requests to leave him alone. Stephan found himself with no other option but to run away when another stranger approached him near downtown, and he went to the only place he knew that would possibly feel peace in. The bookshop.

...

"Theo, pleeeease," Susan pleaded with her best puppy eyes.

"Su, I already said no." Theodosia gestured with her hands, "I can't take you there! Do you even know what your brother can do to both of us if he finds out?" She tiredly sighed, "What even happened to make you wanna go there?"

Susan compressed her lips as she fidgeted with her fingers, finally looking away from her friend before speaking, "Theo, I want a closure... My birthday is coming up and... I want to move on. I don't want to live like this anymore, I want change, I... I feel like this is the last step I must take to do it."

She slowly lifted her gaze, finding Theodosia fighting with herself, restlessly moving her body, until she finally spoke, "Ok, fine!" Susan's eyes lighted up and she opened a smile, "But at the first sight of trouble we come back, okay?"

Soon enough, the girls had already arrived Downtown. Susan took in a deep breath before hopping off the carriage and linking her arm with her friend's as they began walking among the busy streets of that Sunday afternoon. Her eyes would switch places every second now, eyeing the strangers around them attentively with her heart speeding up more and more.

"Well," Theodosia said, trying to lift Susan's mood up, "Your birthday is coming. Tell me anything you want and I will buy it for you."

"Y-You really don't have to, Theo. You are already doing this for me. And I also don't want you to spend any money with-"

"Oooh look how pretty this is!" Theodosia says pointing to a store's showcase.

They walked for a while more, chatting and looking at the street sellers' products until they found an interesting shop, which they entered and Theodosia began to show things to Susan non-stop. The girls were in fact having a good time, and Susan even decided to accept Theo's offer and asked for a feather hair accessory.

"Uh, that's quite different from your usual style, Su," Theo said with a smile, even if her gaze seemed to be teasing. "I like it."

"I just thought I maybe could use it to the... Anyway, I guess you're right, just leave it there." Susan said reaching after the accessory in her friend's hands.

"No, no!" Theodosia pushed her hand out of Susan's reach, "You said it yourself! You wanted a closure right? To leave whatever happened in the past. Just let the new Susan come! If you want to change, you have all my support, Su."