Ego Has a Price

Chapter's songs: Crazy = Genious - Panic!At the Disco
                                   I'm Still Standing - Annapantsu

It had been weeks since the last time Mary went out of her house. She drowned herself in work and would barely get out of the shed, building machines, and scheming blueprints to the point of exhaustion. Joe lost count of how many times he had to carry her back to bed after finding her sleeping over the desk when went to offer her some tea. Indeed, the Spring's ball was her first public apparition, but before that could happen, Joe couldn't bear that situation another second more.

"Come on, where do you wanna go? Just say it and I'll take you there," Joe said with a bright smile.

"Nowhere, Joe. You know I hate people," She replied, not even giving him a glance.

"You don't hate people."

"I have a big grudge against society in general, isn't it the same?"

"What about parties? You like parties, don't you?"

"I must attend parties, doesn't mean I enjoy them."

"It doesn't seem like it when you're flirting around."

"Flirting is a hobby for me, Joe. You should know that by now. It is funny and occupies the time in those boring balls. And in most cases leads to sex, so that's a plus."

"What if I took you to a different party then?"

"I don't feel like dressing up, Joe."

"Just put these on, you're great," He placed a pair of shoes beside her, which Mary side looked at suspiciously.

"I look like a homeless woman, Joe. I can't possibly go out in public like this."

"For what I have in mind the simpler the better. Besides, you look stunning even as a homeless woman."

Mary looked up at him and his lopsided grin, wondering what he had in mind. "A party where the simpler the better, uh? That's new..."

She tried to return to work, but curiosity was bugging the back of her head and she then picked up the shoes. "Just give me five minutes. I'll at least wash my face to look presentable."

Joe chuckled and waited patiently outside her bedroom door. He expected her to appear all dressed up, but surprisingly, she did as told and just fixed her hair and put on a corset and petticoat under the plain white dress she was already wearing.

"Well? Let's go." She commanded already heading down the hallway, but Joe grabbed her wrist and made her stop.

"Just a minute, Little Miss," He chuckled, and only then did Mary notice the blue cape he had on his hands, dropping it over her shoulders and closing the pin in the front. "There. It will be quite chilly tonight. Now we are ready."

She stopped in front of the carriage, waiting for him to open the door for her, but he just laughed, "We're not taking it tonight, Little Miss."

"What?"

"We're going the old-fashioned way. On foot."

Mary groaned and walked past him, grumbling, "I'm already regretting it... It better be worth it for your own good."

Joe offered his arm with a good-humored laugh, but Mary pretended not to see and continued on her own with that grumpy attitude, until halfway through, when a sketchy pair of men walked down the other side of the street and she leaned to Joe's side unconsciously.

"Where the hell are you taking me, Joe? This part of the town..."

"Has more to offer than its first impression. Trust me."