Fireflies

Chapter's song: Ocean Away - The Unofficial Bridgerton Musical
                                 How 'Bout a Dance - Bonnie & Clyde
                                 Fireflies (Acoustic) - Jada Facer, Jonah Baker

"Oh, look who finally decided to show the air of their grace!" Frances joked at the sight of the last of her cousins arrive at the party.

"Blame it on Angelica, she had a last-minute drama queen tantrum and my mom had to convince her to come," Philip explained with a chuckle, taking place beside Theodosia and bowing to kiss the back of her hand, earning a flattered smile from her.

Angelica unknowingly pouted her lips. Her cheeks flaming up at the sight of Georges dressed so nicely. The words her mother told her were rewinding in her mind and making her as nervous as never before, but she refused to look away. She squinted her eyes at him, and Georges compressed his lips awkwardly, scratching his neck to avert his gaze.

"Ahm, what is that about?" Theodosia asked weirded out by her friends' reactions.

"Angie has been avoiding him for days now, and not even I managed to get anything out of her," Philip explained.

"I already told you that she is jealous. Just listen to me for once!" Frances exclaimed.

"Well... It wouldn't be a first for Angie to be jealous over us," Theodosia pointed out. "We all know she hates being left behind. Don't you remember how she acted when Georges had just moved here and started hanging with you guys?"

"Oh yeah," Philip laughed at the memory, "She really thought I was replacing her with him."

"It was over a decade ago, guys, we all have matured since then," Georges crossed his arms with a shrug.

"Her jealousy over us didn't, it happened plenty other times if you can't recall," Theo said with a chuckle, "If we don't give her much attention she gets all sulky."

Philip snickered, "Nice way to word it, sunshine. She gets grumpy, that's how she gets."

"Could you all stop talking as if I'm not here?!" Angelica groaned and then briskly walked away.

"Uhm... She seems quite sensitive today, we should probably apologize," Theodosia says with some concern in her voice.

"She's going to be alright, sunshine. Don't worry!" Philip reassured her with a squeeze in her hand, "We are in a party, and we all know there's only one thing Angie loves more than a good party... Which is winning a competition. So soon enough she'll just forget she was even angry in the first place and be dancing the night away in this ballroom!"

"Speaking of dances..." A familiar voice said and the couple turned around to see Alfred Lee wearing his characteristic smug grin. Frances' eyes widened so much they almost jumped out of her skull and she gave a quick look in Georges' direction as Alfred stared straight at her and offered a small curtesy, "I was wondering if you would partake in a dance with me, Miss Laurens."

Frances managed to scoff, a way to ride out of her initial shock, and then said, "You wish you could have the pleasure to have a dance with me, Lee." She spits the last word averting her eyes from him to not break the character.

"Pleasure? Oh, so that is why there's such a... Huge line of suitors asking for it. Got it."

"What is your game here, Lee?" Philip sharply asked, taking a step between his cousin and her family's enemy. "Why even bother to come here to just insult my cousin? Don't you have better things to do at a party as big as this?"