I Told You So

The following day, Violetta was unusually jumpy since the moment she woke up, nervous about what would happen on that particular day. The first startle of the day provided by Simon touching her leg from under the bed, his eyes seeming to judge her as if knowing what she did.

".... Don't look at me like that," She grumbled before rushing to get ready.

Simon meowed quite loudly, complaining about not receiving his morning milk. Truth was that Violetta completely forgot to grab a bottle of milk the day before at the market. She groaned at herself and turned at the cat, "Sorry, Simon. No milk today, buddy. I'll try to get something in the kitchen and give it to you out there..."

Taking him carefully in her arms, she placed a quick kiss on the top of his head before putting him at the windowsill and closing the window to prevent him from coming back inside. The cat looked incredulous by what just happened, and so he pawed the glass and whined to let her know she locked him to the outside. Violetta however ignored his pleades and clumsily gathered her stuff around the room in a rush before making her way downstairs.

Her family was already having breakfast and wished good morning as Violetta headed to her chair. She tried to call the least attention possible while opening a napkin in her lap, pouring some of the oatmeal she was eating and a tiny slice of cheese in it before closing the bundle.

"We left your muffins untouched as you asked, dear," Violetta's mother kindly smiled, motioning to the wicker basket placed over the sideboard, just waiting for the girl to pick it up.

Violetta stared at the basket, dread pooling in her stomach as she remembered the day before. Todd showed up at her house just a while after their encounter, just as he said he would, carrying a tiny flask that was soon in Violetta's hands.

"Just add this to the mixture of whatever you want to cook, it will do the trick."

"But what exactly is this?" She asked filled with uncertainty before pulling the stopper and sniffing the content to verify if she knew which liquid was that. An extremely sweet smell traveled down her throat, a hint of acid enlacing it, and now she was sure that never used that ingredient before. Neither for cooking or even nursing.

"Don't worry, dear. It's just something to make them feel... Funny," Todd shrugs casually with a smirk playing on his lips.

"How funny?"

"Vi, don't you trust me?" Todd asked looking inside her eyes, "I promised we wouldn't hurt them, now didn't I?"

"W-Well, you did..."

"So?! It is just a beverage I had hanging around from my trips, they will be fine, dear."

Violetta looked at the flask once again, then covered the neck with her index finger, turning it down and then back up, simply to wet the tip of her finger so she could taste it. She lifted her finger to her lips but Todd grabbed her hand before she could.

"Yeah. And... I recommend you not to do that."

"How do you want me to serve something I can't even experiment myself? One thing is to bake muffins and exchange the sugar for salt. That is a prank. But what even is this, Todd?"

"Okay, okay, fine, calm down." He lifted his hands in surrender before explaining himself, "This is a little something some friends and I drink when we want to relax. Some dude that traveled to Asia told us it was made of some sort of flower or whatever and they turned it into a drink. It is gonna make them feel a bit sleepy, light-headed, with really slow thinking," He chuckled and then continued with a smile on his face, "The funny part is that you get so calm that reality and dream kind of mix up. It is gonna be really fun to watch when it hits them."