First Impressions

Chapter's song: Overture - AJR

The new century had barely begun and good news had just started to spread about the future for women in that new era. Angelica Schuyler Jefferson became the first lady inside the Congress and her first big motion was to change rules for women education, and after an entire decade of fighting for it, in May 1805 her motion was finally put into action.

A few daughters of important congressmen and war heroes were selected to join the Columbia College classes that year in an experience time to see if the faculty could adapt to them and if the women would be able to handle it.

The girls started to attend college classes for a couple of weeks now and even if many teachers and students wouldn't admit aloud, some were the smartest people they ever met.

...

It was a nice Friday evening and a well-known group of friends came down the street, just as loudly as usual.

"GIVE ME THAT MUFFIN!" the tall dark-skinned Lafayette boy, Georges, shouted as he held his friend's head in a headlock, making the boy complain as he slapped his arm to make him release his neck.

"NO WAY! YOU ALREADY ATE YOURS! BACK OFF!" the famous Hamilton's son shouted back. Many people used to say how similar he looked to his father, the differences between them being mostly his darker curlier hair and the few freckles that spotted on his nose.

The two boys had been friends since when Georges came to America several years ago when he was still a kid, no much longer after his mother passed away, and Philip was the one who helped him adjust to the new country and language he used to struggle so much with back then.

Theodosia giggled at them as she walked at their side, her heavy black locks and ribbon bouncing softly with her laugh. With the recent Hamilton and Burr tension, it surprised people that the girl would still hang with that specific group once her father shot the treasury secretary who barely survived the duel a year ago, but Theodosia and Philip had a deeper connection that couldn't be broken even by such a huge conflict between their families.

The tired Laurens' boy sighed and rolled his eyes, the only moment they left the pages of the book he was reading. "Really guys?" he mumbled in his usual monotone and deep voice as he shook his head lightly.

His twin sister pulled an arm around his shoulder with a grin, "Just let them be, Steph!" Frances had just as many freckles as her brother. They also had the same hazel green eye color, extremely curled light brown hair and tanned skin; impossible to say they weren't John Laurens' kids.

Stephan shrugged and Frances rolled her eyes as she chuckled and retreated her arm as he said, "As long as they don't obligate me to bake more muffins for them..."

"Hey, Steph!" Georges called with half of Philip's muffin in his mouth, Philip grumpily walking beside him with crossed arms and Theodosia patting his back in a comforting way, even if she had to stiff in a laugh. Stephan simply sighed as the Frenchman continued, "How about you bake some more for us and end this discussion?"

"Why don't I just keep my mouth shut...?" Stephan mumbled.

"Aw, could you, Steph?" Susan quietly pleaded with a tiny smile spotting from behind her long bang that usually covered half of her face, "They are so delicious, if you could bake some more for dinner it would be the perfect dessert."

Stephan felt his heart speed up and his cheeks burn every time she would look at him with those sweet almond eyes, and he stuttered, "I-I-I uhm-"

"Do it, do it, do it, do it," The group started to repeat it and Stephan felt the urge to run away or simply stick his head in the ground to hide from that humiliation.