Detention

Chapter's song: Fuck You - Lily Allen 

Frances arrived at the newly built building early in the morning just as the principal ordered her to, and he was waiting for her at the door. They exchanged some silent hatred glances as he pulled a pocket watch from his suit and looked down at it, "6:30... Not so good for a first day, uh, Laurens?"

She simply stared at him with her mouth slightly twisted in a scowl. The man retrieved his watch to his pocket and then unlocked the door to a cold, dark, and dusty ambient. The only light coming in was from the door, but the sun had barely risen at the horizon at that hour. Every tall window in the two-story building was closed by wooden planks and thick two layers of curtains, many of which still needed to be put up into place.

The air felt stale and the paint smell was still strong once the doors and windows didn't seem to be left open for long after the walls were painted. Dozens of large boxes filled the center space and there were more empty bookshelves than Frances could count, covering every inch of both floors' walls in the huge building except for the one with the door, and by the look of which seemed incredibly encrusted with dust.

Mr. West handed Frances a lamp and a small matches' box, "You'll find the needed tools somewhere in there. The whole place must be clean, the books organized in their designed categories, and I expect you to put the tables and chairs into place as well. I'll be checking your work every day at 6 p.m so I expect to see some improvement by then or I unfortunately will have to ask you to redo it all." He explained monotonously with his hands behind his back, to which Frances rolled her eyes with a huff. "Any questions, Laurens?"

"Whatever, Wilbur." She called him by his first name in a scornful manner as she walked into the empty expected to be library.

"Just gained another week, Laurens!"

Frances grumbled and cursed under her breath as she walked into the room. The doors were slammed close as the principal went away; classes wouldn't begin within another two hours and so he was clearly irritated by that fact of having to arrive so early, and left the girl in the dark without the dim light coming from the door.

She placed the lamp over one of the boxes in the middle of the room and sneezed before she managed to light up the lamp, the sound of her sneeze echoing for a while before stopping once the huge place was so incredibly empty. Looking around, she noticed there were three long tables placed against the door's wall that would be completely impossible to move any on her own. Many fancy chairs fit over each other, which looked more like a puzzle at Frances' eyes, and other prompts such as globes and book holders. She scoffed and began to explore the rest of the building, a chill running down her spine the longer she looked around with the creepy vibe that the place had.

She yelled when stumbled in a rolled rug completely forgotten in that place and fell loudly on the floor face first, miraculously, the lamp in her hands didn't shatter once it hit the rug and slid safely to the ground. "URGH. Lee is gonna pay so much for this... ACHOO!"

Deciding to start with finding something to take those planks off the windows and provide some light, it took her about 15 minutes with many sneezes caused by the dust and strong paint scent until she could find something useful, the tools apparently were all scattered around the place to make the work even easier.

"Now we are talking." She spoke to the hammer in her hands. She went to the nearest window, the empty building echoing her footsteps, and placed the lamp at the windowsill before start working on the first nail in those planks. With some force, it swiftly popped out and she smiled at it before working in the rest of them.