Giving it a Chance

Chapter's song: Introducing Me - Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam 
                                 Bad Idea - Waitress

"You can't tilt your body! That's cheating!" Frances shouted, squirming her face in a scowl, which made Alfred laugh at her, still concentrated in their battle.

"I never knew there was a thumb war rulebook!"

"It's a normally recognized rule to not pull your hand away from the other person!" She shouts back right before Alfred dodged his thumb and trapped hers in a swift movement. He punches the air above his head with a shout, "HA! IN. YOUR. FAACE!"

The girl simply crossed her arms with an unamused attitude, "Don't get too excited, I still have you by five points."

"Touché." He stated and both laughed.

At the same day of the spider accident, Mr. West came up to check on their work no longer after they recomposed themselves and started scolding Frances for wreaking the curtains as soon as he noticed it by the end of his visit. She was still too unsettled by the conversation she just had had with Alfred and stood in silence, receiving all the wrath from the principal until Alfred spoke up and took the blame.

"I was too careless. I slipped and ended up bringing the curtains along with me." He explained, changing the characters in the story, and Frances stared at him the whole time wondering what was he even doing once the fault was hers anyway. "Please forgive me, it won't happen again."

The older man sighed and scratched the bridge of his nose in annoyance, "Fine. I will let it go for this once, but that nothing of sort repeats at the following week, understood, Lee?"

"Loud and clear, sir." Alfred replied formally and the man left the place grumbling under his breath. Alfred noticed the girl staring at him with a light scowl on her face, seeming weirded out, "What?"

"Why did you do that?"

Alfred simply shrugged as he reached for his bag, "Just thought he would take it easier with me than with you, and I was right."

"You didn't have to. I could take the blame perfectly fine, which was mine whatsoever."

He chuckled at her, "A simple thank you would be just enough, ya know?" Frances crossed her arms, and aware he wouldn't receive an answer, he waved while walking towards the door, "Well, see you tomorrow."

"Thank you." She groaned and he smiled at himself before exiting the building.

The duo still had two more days before the weekend came by to give them a break from work. During Thursday, Frances spent most of the day avoiding him and they exchanged only a few sentences, the girl finding the situation quite awkward and honestly not willing to give a helping hand to make whatever was happening between them. But she did stop to yell at Alfred at every tiny thing he did, and he actually caught her stiffing in a laugh at something he said every now and then. However, it was only on Friday when Alfred suggested making each other questions, one at a time. It was a silly idea, he remembered doing that when he was a kid, but thought it to be a good way to try to begin getting her to talk to him.

"And why would we do that?" She asked raising a questioning eyebrow at him as she swiped the floor with a mop.

"To get to know each other?" He answers from over the ladder attached to a trail at the high bookshelves, placing some books into the shelves. "We literally know nothing to like about the other, especially you."

Frances turns her face away from him with a huff, focusing on her task once again, and Alfred actually thinks she ignored him completely after a couple of seconds before she sighed tiredly and gave up, "Fiine, why not?"