I'm Tired of This

Frances lied down on her bed with a sigh. It was Wednesday once again. Once again, she would try to stay up to see who was the person putting the flowers at her window. "It must be Todd." Since their first encounter on Friday, he started to give her presents in person. Such as a new box of soft pastels to replace the one which had been destroyed, a green gouache ink from India that must have been really expensive, an extravagant peacock quill, and a big box of chocolates that made Philip and Georges tease her for the rest of the day, saying that they were in a relationship.

"Todd and Frances, sitting in the tree, K-i-s-s-i-n-g!" They sang before she pushed them to the side in visible embarrassment, which only caused them to laugh harder and tease her even more.

"I just need to stay up long enough to see him." She thought. She has been doing this since the 6th Wednesday but the tiredness and boredom always seemed to win over her. However, this time she had a convincing suspect and was determined to see if it was truly him. Every time she would ask Todd about something related to the flowers, he would dismiss the subject and go away or simply say it wasn't him with a sly smile. She was sure it was he and was just embarrassed in saying so or wanting to keep the mystery going.

She noticed how the lights outside her bedroom began to be blown out by who she believed to be her father and she quickly crawled to the candle at her bedside before blowing it out and hiding under the covers of her bed, pretending to be asleep. Just in time, John quietly cracked open the door to her room and saw his daughter in bed, then whispering, "Have good dreams, Franny..."

Frances didn't move an inch until he closed her door and waited until the noise of his own door being closed was heard. She then jumped and sat up in bed, staring at the night sky from out her window for a while before she lit up the candle again and started drawing non-stop for about 2 hours, hoping it would make her stay awake after she almost caught herself drifting to sleep. She jolted for a moment before yawning and looking at her window. No one had arrived yet. Frances yawned once more while leaning into her pillows, flipping to a blank page before feeling her eyes slowly drifting close, and as much as she tried to keep them open, they still fell closed heavily.

Frances suddenly jolted awake, quickly sitting up and making her sketchbook fall to the wooden floor. It felt like she only slept for five minutes, but the sun was already shining. She punched the mattress and groaned in annoyance, "GAH! COME OooN!"

She threw the sheets away, huffing in anger and marching towards the window, "Yea, yea, let me guess, another stupid flo-" She stopped her ranting and knit her eyebrows in a frown. There was a piece of paper tied to the flower, "O-Ok... That's new."

"I wish to see more of your smile, why don't you smile more?
It is so beautiful...
I wish you could smile for me...
I also love it when you blush.
You look like a dork, but it's just so cute."

She widens her eyes and blushes with the statement and when notices the heat in her cheeks, she softly slaps her own face and then covers it with the paper in pure embarrassment, "Oh God. What is this? Please tell me I am not growing feelings for- Whoever is doing this shit." She groans bringing the note down and looks around, pressing her lips tightly before beginning to pace around her room as she talked to herself.

"It must be Todd but... This note feels so different?" While the first letter found inside the soft pastels box was written front and back with a labored and thoughtful text expressing their feelings, this note felt more heart talking, as if it didn't take effort to put those words down. "And why just now leave a note with the flower? It's been two months and he is already talking and... Flirting with me in person." That feeling of having someone actually interested romantically towards her still felt weird to Frances. "I already know it's him it's so damn obvious, he could just stop it. Unless it's two different people..." She comes to a halt and blinks several times, thinking about the last statement.